help picking a new surf vehic

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Aug 4, 2017.

1. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
  2. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
  3. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Bought a 98 Outback new. Would never buy another one. At 173k you're buying someone else's headache.

4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I’m a Subaru fan too. There are some years and maybe engine types that have issues. Some develop a piston clatter at higher mileage. I think Peak has mentioned before about possible leaking headgaskets too. Some also have 2 catalytic converters that are pricey. Do the research and keep some extra $ in the bank.

PeakMaster likes this.
  5. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I want to like them...I'm a fan of the semi-goofy Tribeca...which I don't even know if they still produce. But man you could fit a log of people and/or stuff in one of those. Also, not the easiest engines to work on if your a DIY guy

6. LÜGEN

LÜGEN Active Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Oceanside
    We had a 2000 forester. Head gasket are known for blowing. I think in 2005 they changed that. And about 900-1100 for new catalytic converters too. Other then that it was a good car.

Has anyone noticed feminists love Subaru

PeakMaster likes this.
  7. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    As i mentioned, I had an Outback which was a great car. Only needed gas and oil until recently ( my son has it now). It just needed struts on all four corners and that was a heavy bill. Stretched out over the last 130k miles, still not a bad investment. The gas mileage is great on them too.

8. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    "So the engine is a swapped in Chrysler 360 with a 4 barrel carb and...."
    "Carpeted dashboard."
    "Excuse me son?"
    "Carpeted dashboard....You had me at 'carpeted dashboard' " *single tear rolls down cheek.

Seriously f%$#ing rad vehicle. Me climbing out of this would shock no one. I was born in 73 and the next year Dodge got to work on my van. Stoked.

9. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Important factor too......Subaru models are “Dog Tested”