help picking a new surf vehic

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Aug 4, 2017.

1. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
  2. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
  3. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Bought a 98 Outback new. Would never buy another one. At 173k you're buying someone else's headache.

4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I’m a Subaru fan too. There are some years and maybe engine types that have issues. Some develop a piston clatter at higher mileage. I think Peak has mentioned before about possible leaking headgaskets too. Some also have 2 catalytic converters that are pricey. Do the research and keep some extra $ in the bank.

PeakMaster likes this.
  5. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I want to like them...I'm a fan of the semi-goofy Tribeca...which I don't even know if they still produce. But man you could fit a log of people and/or stuff in one of those. Also, not the easiest engines to work on if your a DIY guy

6. LÜGEN

LÜGEN Active Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Oceanside
    We had a 2000 forester. Head gasket are known for blowing. I think in 2005 they changed that. And about 900-1100 for new catalytic converters too. Other then that it was a good car.

Has anyone noticed feminists love Subaru

PeakMaster likes this.
  7. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    As i mentioned, I had an Outback which was a great car. Only needed gas and oil until recently ( my son has it now). It just needed struts on all four corners and that was a heavy bill. Stretched out over the last 130k miles, still not a bad investment. The gas mileage is great on them too.

8. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    "So the engine is a swapped in Chrysler 360 with a 4 barrel carb and...."
    "Carpeted dashboard."
    "Excuse me son?"
    "Carpeted dashboard....You had me at 'carpeted dashboard' " *single tear rolls down cheek.

Seriously f%$#ing rad vehicle. Me climbing out of this would shock no one. I was born in 73 and the next year Dodge got to work on my van. Stoked.

9. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Important factor too......Subaru models are “Dog Tested”