help picking a new surf vehic

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Aug 4, 2017.

1. houseofsuffering

houseofsuffering Active Member

Nov 1, 2005
    XXX
    thanks...good advice.

2. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    I would imagine your resale value would help recover some of your upfront cost as well assuming you don’t plan on keeping it until you run it into the ground.

3. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    True, true. Spent an hour or three looking.

4. Flip756

Flip756 Member

Mar 4, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    When is your lease up?
    What's your residual value (amount you can purchase the vehicle for at the end of the lease)?
    What is the buyout right now?
    All of those numbers should be deciding factors for your next step.

Toyota trucks and Wranglers currently hold their resale so well that quite often you will have equity at or close to the end of the lease. So you could trade, pocket the cash,and buy something a few years old and be in debt for the next x years.

You also have the option to walk away from the lease if the buyout is more than the vehicle is actually worth. For example if the buyout is 30 and you could buy the exact same car for 25 there's no reason to buyout the lease.

I'm also a big fan of a few years old with low miles and some warranty left. The problem with the Tacoma, they don't depreciate that fast and you won't really be saving that much money on a 2 year old truck.

jbb, JMJackFish and houseofsuffering like this.
  5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    All solid advice. Sounds like you’re in the auto biz.

Flip756 likes this.
  6. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    My Taco, 4 door 4x4 long bed with 138k miles is still worth way more than I would ever pay for it. (My vote for surf & work truck) Crusty milk stains, wetsuits stank and saw dust included. Just got the offer from Toyota to buy back the van. Toyota’s hold their value.

MDM and houseofsuffering like this.
  7. houseofsuffering

houseofsuffering Active Member

Nov 1, 2005
    XXX
    Lease isn't up for a few months, but work tends to get busier in the spring so I'm thinking about taking care of things sooner rather than later. I have to take in the truck for them to see how well I cared for it (I think I did a good job) and then go from there. Would like to swing the 4wd and it sounds like it's worth looking at. Thanks for all the advice Flip and others.

8. cheyneskeezer

cheyneskeezer Active Member

May 30, 2017
    Long Beach CA
    67EAD44B-3EF9-4366-85B4-E19ED85A98F6.jpeg 62501EE9-A902-4067-89AD-3CC6057E93A8.jpeg i just like a good ol 1500 pick up. ive been using my 09 silverado to camp out of the back for years now. carpet kit and i built a 3/4 length plywood devider that goes across the bedrail so that i can keep stuff up top and sleep underneath. with that said. i wish i had a full window i could roll down like in some of the tundras so that i could keep logs locked up. im also looking into one of these Gfc camper shells for it as i was on the search for a flippac and found one finally but it sold too quick. these are a very modern updated thought out version my friend drew martin just took a trip to mex with the founders of the company to test to protoype out.

9. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    Check out the Alu-Cab products. They may be up your alley. There was also a guy over on Expedition Portal that built a Flip Pac style camper. The Flip-Pac's are a lot of money, even used and have a lot of problems it seems, especially with the torsion bar. you would be better off finding a Callen Camper shell, which pop up quite a bit in Southern California.

cheyneskeezer likes this.