help picking a new surf vehic

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Aug 4, 2017.

1. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    my Vanagon was T-boned a few months back by a distracted phonebot who ran a red.
    no serious damage other than destroying my classic dub.
    now after months of back and forth with insurance co's I finally got a proper settlement and shopping for a replacement.
    as much a i would like to get another of the same (subaru powered Vanagon) I leaning more toward a more contemporary option. I havent entirely ruled out the Vanagon but here are the practical choices that I'm considering
    Suby Outback - this would be my 4th - great cars just leaning toward something different.
    Ford Flex - like it, great stlying and lots of interior space. but its a Ford and the mpg is <20
    Ford Transit Wagon - like it, good mpg might be a tad cramped for second row passengers and yeah its a Ford. My Ranger was theshit but know Ford can be hit or miss
    Nissan Quest - at the moment 1st choice (2013-16) under valued, v.g. mpg all rear seat drop and good comfy interior- not sure about reliability havent had a Nissan hardbody seemed bomb proof

so yeah anyone got an opinion - its got to be able to deal with NE winters

2. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Hard to beat a Subaru in a 4 season environment. I'd also check out a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Very competent vehicle, not so good for small parking lot maneuvers, but everything's a trade-off in one way or another.

3. sightpoint

sightpoint Active Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    I would personally skip anything Ford because, as you said, they're a roulette wheel. Double cab Tacoma with a cap? Subys are awesome and hard to beat. But... I have a 2004 Sienna minivan and I love it. Can sleep in it, plenty of space, highly convertible for storage, comes in an AWD version. But it's a minivan, so if you're the aesthetic type, maybe not bueno. Then again, you're considering a Ford Flex. :D

deemce likes this.
  4. Croweater

Croweater Active Member

Oct 4, 2010
    USA Rhode Island
    If you want to go minivan I'd go with Toyota Sienna. AWD and of course it's a Toyota. I have owned a Nissan Quest for a short time. Not a big fan and the interior was a little cheap as far as quality. Not like Honda or Toyota.

5. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA Massachusetts
    Honda Element?

I love my Forester, but I think you've been there, done that...

Mine's an XT, tons of fun. Turbo fun.

6. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
  7. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Not sure what this is but got my attention when I was in the Outer Banks. Toyota/Subaru more practical.

Surf Truck OBX.JPG

JMJackFish likes this.
  8. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    I know they aren't on your list, but two that I myself am looking at for a new surf rig as I am racking way too many miles on my new truck:

Land Rover LR3. They can be had fairly reasonable and the aftermarket is pretty big. They will go pretty much anywhere that you want and the aftermarket support is pretty great. Land Rovers get a bad rep, but 2004 model years are leaps and bounds far greater and more dependable than 2004 and older.

Toyota Sequoia (1st Gen). Reasonable and other than the normal replacement of the timing belt and water pump, are virtually maintenance free until 300k miles plus. Very under rated vehicle.

9. Flip756

Flip756 Member

Mar 4, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    If anyone has questions about Land Rovers feel free to message me, I've been with the brand for a long time. Tons of personal experience, bloody knuckles, lumps on my head, and smiles at the end.

Wade In The Waves likes this.
  10. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    Best surf vehicle we've had was a Chevy Astro/GMC Safari. I think the last year made was 2005, so it will take a bit to find a good low mileage one.

John

Croweater likes this.