Hawaii bound... at last!

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Chilly Willy, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Yeah!!! My wife and I are heading to Hawaii tomorrow -- first time for both of us. We're spending a few days on Oahu (Waikiki, but a little more on the outskirts near the zoo) and then hopping over to Kauai (Poipu) for a few more days. So many options and islands to hop to, but we figured limiting to two will leave us with new destinations for our next visit.

I really thought I would have posted something earlier with questions for the peanut gallery, but I was really able to find all the answers to my questions on past threads here. What the hell though, post any travel tips if you feel so inclined.

I'm stoked that I'm finally getting my chance to make the pilgrimage. Wish me luck!

newlyn likes this.
  2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Congratulations! Enjoy the trip. By all means surf Waikiki on as long a board as possible. Very fun for any and all.

Chilly Willy likes this.
  3. supersteez

supersteez Member

Dec 22, 2013
    USA California
    Maybe not the recommendations that you were soliciting, but I send this email to my friends before they go to Oahu.

These are all food recommendations, which have been collected by different friends & added to over time:

Cinnamon's Restaurant
    315 Uluniu St
    Kailua, HI 96734
    Guava pancakes, need I say more? No. Then go to Lanikai beach right after park by Oprah's summer house haha, and your mind will be blown I recommend parking on this street (Onekea) and then you'll have a locals point of view on the beach from one of the beach access inlets!

Hukilau Café
    55-662 Wahinepe'e St
    Laie, HI 96762
    Super yummy banana pancakes for you and a loco moco for Johnny! If he is a big eater then maybe he can handle the Hungry Hawaiian but they are most famous for their Loco Moco. They only take cash so make sure you have some on you or you’ll have to go next door to get cash from the ATM!

Papa Ole’s
    54-316 Kamehameha Hwy
    Ste 9
    Hauula, HI 96717
    This place has awesome breakfast and lunch or dinner! Get the French toast it is super yummy and made on Hawaiian sweet bread! Super good!! For lunch or dinner get the garlic chicken! It is so yummy the plate lunch is so good!

Mac’s 24/7
    Hilton Waikiki Prince Kuhio
    2500 Kuhio Ave
    Honolulu, HI 96815
    Home of the Man vs. Food challenge for 3 13” pancakes, the Elvis one’s are to die for! These are easily the best pancakes I have ever had and you’ll have to bring a big appetite there are a lot of them!

Lunch/ Dinner
    Kahuku Grill
    Kahuku Sugar Mill
    56-565 Kamehameha Hwy
    Kahuku, HI 96731
    Okay, if you eat anywhere…. It needs to be here! You have to have at least three things here! First, their burgers are easily the best burger ever; my mouth is salivating just thinking about it you have to order the combo and get their fries too, they are soooooo good!! Second, one of their shrimp plates is so good, (I’m allergic) but everyone says they’re shrimp plates, the mac coconut shrimp is to die for. Third, their banana bread sundae is the best thing ever (and I have the recipe!!). Just a fore warning they only take cash so you need to have some!

Kahuku Shrimp Trucks
    All over the North Shore on Kam HWY
    There are various shrimp trucks across the North Shore and they all are super yummy. They seem a little sketchy because it’s food from a truck but rest assured they are safe and super ono! Once you hit Kahuku to the North Shore I would recommend hitting up one of them for lunch in between beaches!

Haleiwa Thai
    66-079 Kamehameha Hwy
    Haleiwa, HI 96712
    Thai food on the island is to die for! This place is absolutely the best! You have to have their spring rolls, coco rice and either curry or pad thai! This place is sooo good. You have to eat dinner here one night it’s so good! Their coco rice is so good you have to try it! And while you’re here you have to stop by Matsumoto’s for shaved ice right down the street!

Burgers on the Edge
    888 Kapahulu Ave
    Ste 100
    Honolulu, HI 96816
    Basically a Subway style burger place. Sweet potatoes fries are bomb and you can put anything on your burgers, they are super good and the shakes are super good too!

Matsumoto’s Grocery Store
    66-087 Kamehameha Hwy
    Haleiwa, HI 96712
    This is the famous shaved ice place. It’s pretty mandatory for any visitor of the island! Get the tropical blend you won’t be disappointed, I promise!

Kava Roots
    59-059 Pupukea Rd
    Haleiwa, HI 96712
    For a lunch break or in between exploring the North Shore, stop by here and get yourself an awesome acai bowl. They are so good here. only take cash but, easily the best acai bowls on the island!

Camille’s on Wheels- Food truck. You have to check twitter to find out if they are open, and where they will be. Organic food, but lots of options and good.

Kahuku Grill (North Shore)- This is great chocolate chip banana bread with icing on top. If you are going to the north shore, look it up and stop for some

He’eia Pier General store at Kaneohe- Great traditional Hawaiian food options. Small shack at the end of a pier, good option if you are in the area

Nico’s Pier 38- This is in Honolulu near the airport. Large & easy to find seating. Great seafood options, casual atmosphere (ie loud enough that kids will not embarrass you) good desserts too

Opal Thai Haleiwa- Small north shore Thai restaurant, not a ton of seating, great Thai. You can order this as takeout and take it to a beach. When we go, we have the owner choose our meals for us. He’ll ask some questions about what flavors you may like, and put together a meal.

Ted’s Bakery- Great plate lunch options, and some generally good baked goods. Haupia pie is good. They sell pie by the slice.

Hukilau Café- North shore. This is a small diner. I love going here for breakfast. Classic Hawaiian style food. I think breakfast & lunch only (?)

Shaved Ice- anyone on the north shore. They are all the same, and all good

Leonard’s Waikele Shopping Center- Hot Malasada cart in a shopping center parking lot super finicky hours.

L&L- These are all over the island. They are the McDonalds of Hawaiian food. Many people hate it. I love it, but I eat at McDonalds, so discount it as necessary.

4. Pierpont Scott

Pierpont Scott Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Ventura
    If you want to eat like a local go to zippy's...

Chilly Willy likes this.
  5. Silk123

Silk123 Active Member

Feb 11, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    Surf Ala Moana Park. Watch others walk out first to find the path through the coral.

Take a helicopter ride in Kauai. It's touristy, costs a bunch of money but is just Insane. Not many, if any, places on the planet like it.

Chilly Willy and PeakMaster like this.
  6. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Jump off the rock at Waimea. Shave ice at Matsumotos. Have a blast!!

Chilly Willy likes this.
  7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    might want to bring a neck brace for that whiplash you're gonna have from checking out all the smokin hot island girlz..lol

Chilly Willy likes this.
  8. Stringer

Stringer Active Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Stoked for you Chilly! Have a blast and can't wait to hear all about it!

Chilly Willy likes this.
  9. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    Not sure if you are musical at all, but if you are it might be fun to check out some ukulele stores.

About 10 years ago I went from guitar to uke (Think Jake not Tiny Tim) and it has been a blast.

There is a shop in Haleiwa called The Ukulele Site that would be a great place if heading to the North Shore and interested.

John

Chilly Willy likes this.
  10. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    Great list, but right up the road, on Kapahulu is Rainbow Drive In. True local style grinds. Mix plate gravy all over.
    Also Kua Aina burgers on North Shore, Kam Highway past Haleiwa town.

(PS, I am on Maui now with my kids) Have fun Rob.

Chilly Willy likes this.