Have you been checked recently?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Basenji703

Basenji703 Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I go twice a year and sometimes more...

2. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    No, a hand surgeon. Operated on my share of various tumors and way too many melanomas.

3. dingpatch

dingpatch Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    I'm on a 3 month schedule, having had a Melanoma removed in 2010! Lots and lots of Basil and Squamous removed before and after. The Melanoma was a mole that I had had on my right forearm since I was a "kid". During a skin check they asked if I had anything "new". I told them that my good-old-trusty mole seemed to be a little higher than usual and that it felt rough. ROUGH! BOOM, Biopsy. Yep, the dreaded Melanoma, Immediate surgery. But, and, the nuclear medicine/scan "sentinel node" (lymph) check right before surgery was THE CREAM OF THE CROP! A nice lady I worked with at the time asked me if they were going to do a sentinel node. "Ummm, not sure but they did say something about a node". She was sitting, I was standing, she grabbed my arm and said ", , , , I had to have one when they removed the Melanoma from my right leg. By the second shot of the nuke med I would rather of had triplets! Each one was excruciating!" "WTF!!!!!" She told me that they give you four shots around the suspected spot and then track the Nuke on a scanner to see which lymph nod it primarily collects at. I found that most of the Nuke Meds used are carried in a "sulphur" compound that burns like it was bleach. The Internets told me that each shot was a solid 10 on the pain scale (a surfing friend who eventually passed for her breast cancer told me ", , , , , a 10 my ass. That shit was a fucking 15 on the Nazi Concentration Camp scale")! Her husband wanted to be with her but they made him leave. She asked why he could not stay with her, ", , , , well, friends and/or relatives are likely to attack the staff once you start screaming in pain, , , ,!! F Me, she could have at least told me to sit down before she told me that! Well, so, it came to the very early morning before surgery and it was time for the Nuke Meds and scan. I go in, lay on the table with two Techs and a Nurse, all waiting for the Doctor. The Doc comes in and talks about the procedure, etc. . . Well are we ready? Yep. my right arm is extended out out on an arm board. One tech holds my right arm down at the wrist, the other tech holds my right shoulder down using a WWE wrestling grip. and then, to top it all off, , , the nurse comes in, closes the door, a comes to me and holds my left had with hers and begins to pet/stroke my left forearm. Holy Fook! So the Doc hits me with the first shot. NOTHING! He gives me a WIDE EYE BALL look and I just shrug my face. I did not feel a thing with any of the shots. Go figure, I can only guess that I had properly prepared my mind.

So, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO GET A SKIN CHECK ASAP! Current research suggests that if you had only ONE bad sunburn before the age of 18, you are at something like a 50%+ greater risk of developing Melanoma. Please watch the following, and get a grip.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Surfnfish likes this.
  4. dingpatch

dingpatch Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    My little touch of Melanoma, , , ,

[​IMG]

5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    very lucky you got it early, and great news it had not spread....

self exams so important..take a pic of anything questionable, each month compare that pic to present status..it's a survivable cancer if recognized early, a rarely survivable cancer if recognized late..

6. dingpatch

dingpatch Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    The first time, some years ago now, that I went to my Dermatologist for a skin check. He was VERY blunt about it. "You're a surfer?" Yes" "You've always got burned haven't you?" "Yes". "Melanoma is a death sentence if you don't catch it time! Get the message out."