Have you been checked recently?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, Feb 6, 2018.

1. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    While I look like I got in a fight with a ice pick wielding madman, it was just a visit to my dermatologist. The good news is the hole in my leg biopsy came back basal cell carcinoma, removed and all good. Just a reminder for you all, take care of your skin and go see the doc every year.

For me, back to the stupid looking hats while in the water. They can only enhance my reputation.

Roach, MDM, dingdong and 4 others like this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Funny when basal cell is good news, but I see your point! A great public service message.

3. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Good to hear, @nedsurf. I love wearing my surf hat. I figure that either I will surf well enough to offset my goofy cap, or if I kook out that day, at least I can pull the cap down low to cover my face and hide my shame. Actually, I've had a surprising amount of compliments on my hat. Usually it's from older fellas, and a few of them were inspired to go get hats of their own. I recently wore my first one out and got a sweet new Dakine cap that is pretty stylish for a surf hat.

I had a spot checked on the back of my leg a few months ago. It was quite unnerving to have a spot that could be anything, especially since it looked to me like the dreaded melanoma. I brought it to the experts and learned that it was just a harmless cherry angioma. It was great finding out for sure and either taking care of it or settling my worries once and for all.

MDM likes this.
  4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    see the skin doc every 6 to 8 months for past 3 decades..so far two basal cells removed, dozens of pre cancerous Keratoses..kept nagging another older surfer about the constant sore on his lips for a year, finally talked to his wife he needed to see a derm NOW...3 operations later, his lips have been reconstructed, and his surgeon said he was exceedingly lucky the cancer had not metastasized. Self examine regularly, encourage your friends to do the same, and don't be afraid to speak out when someone has an obvious problem.

bonzer likes this.
  5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I’m in the rotation. Thanks.

6. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    I'm 35 and full of holes. Non remotely positive, but with bad family history and an addiction to all things sun, I go every year.

Whats odd, I monitor & track moles that i notice as new or unusual. I try to predict which of those moles they will biopsy. I'm never even close.

7. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    And please don't forget to pay attention to any dark spots under a fingernail. Melanomas that occur in this location are the most aggressive. If you can't be certain if it's a neoplasm or the result of hitting the nail, just place two parallel scratches transversely in the nail with a knife, one above the spot and one below. Melanomas will not grow out with the nail, but a small hematoma will. If the scratches move down and the spot stays, do not wait to see a hand surgeon. I've treated many of those during my career, and early recognition and treatment is especially important for these.

Roach, deemce, Surfnfish and 2 others like this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    I'm going back in tomorrow morning, then again in a month... don't think I've been more than three months without a visit in a decade. Basal, squamous, AK's by the boatload, just one melanoma on a leg that rarely got too much sun. Somewhere around a hundred and fifty stitches, I dont think I'm up to two hundred yet. Burning, flourouracil, aldera, picato...PDT, PDT daylight... and I haven't had a sunburn in over twenty years.

Why bother you with all that? So that you'll do what nedsurf and the others day and get regular checkups. Get a second opinion if you aren't convinced and don't hesitate to ask for a biopsy if needed.

Don't put it off. Don't think that you'll be too ugly to go to work for a week. Don't worry about time out of the water. Treat it and then take care of yourselves.

Hope that's not to moralizing in tone, but be safe.

By the way, PDT daylight is pretty grand - way less painful, still a pretty low recurrance rate, and much less invasive in my case. Check it out!

ElBrooklyn likes this.
  9. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    that is great info to share..are you a derm?

10. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Just had a "suspicious" growth removed lower back. Was benign but I did not like the look of it. Better safe than......

Chilly show us this cool hat.