Has anyone used bondo to fix pressure dents on bottom of boards?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Malibootay, Nov 30, 2017.

1. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    If they are small dimples 1mm to 2mm deep (1/16") deep there is a pretty quick and dirty way to fill them.

You need to mask off an area slightly larger than the dimple. Pour out some resin on a paper plate and then chop up some fiberglass into the resin. Add catalyst and mix it up. It becomes a like thick mat that you can in the dimples. The fiberglass also keeps it from cracking. Then sand it down. You can use the masking tape as a guide and the protect surrounding area. The tape is .006" thick. Take the tape off and feather it in. I'll go to 1500 or 2000 grit and then polish with a buffer. Not perfect, but pretty darn close.

This is not the way to go with larger dings, but it works great on small depressions that you don't want to let go. On larger ones you need to lay on glass. Really bad ones need a piece of foam.

John

2. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    One more thing. Get a roll of 1-1/2" masking tape. After you take the cap off the resin can, wrap the threads tightly with the masking tape so you make a spout. After you are done pull off the tape and clean the threads and top and then screw the cap on.

If you get lazy and don't do this you'll need vice grips to get that cap off next time. And after a few more repairs then the resin will turn to jello in the can. Don't ask me how I know.

John

Planktom and ElBrooklyn like this.
  3. pintail

pintail Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Hastings was taken over by another company, but still the products needed: https://www.santamonicaplastics.com/product-category/resins-epoxies-pigments-and-molds/

4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Jamestown Distributors (great online catalog) is my go to for all repair products, whether surfboard or boats. This powdered fibreglass is inexpensive and super easy to use, mix it with resin to desired fill density.
    [​IMG]

Another great product is this liteweight marine rated filler which is stronger and levels much better better then Bondo:
    [​IMG]

5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
  6. pintail

pintail Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    True that! If you scroll down, the other products and pages will come into view.

7. Malibootay

Malibootay New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Newport/West Hills
    Does the total boat work like q cell? I am interested in the evercoat, looks like what i was looking for. Does it need a top coat of fiberglass or is it good as is?

8. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    total boat is much like q-cell with a bit more 'body' to it. Easy to make it up it light and fluffy, or dense and solid.
    For shallow applications, regardless of what fill material is used, best to sand it down a bit when dry then apply a sanding coat to seal..for deeper dents, best to overlay with 4 oz cloth and orbit sand smooth..
    I pretty much disregard dents on my boards, even on the bottom, unless in the tail area.. when waves are critical, max board speed is all about rail/tail engagement..if the board is sitting flatter on the wave surface, the wave isn't critical, and some dents don't mean squat..