Has anyone used bondo to fix pressure dents on bottom of boards?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Malibootay, Nov 30, 2017.

1. WhiteRussian

WhiteRussian Active Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Boston Harbor
    does this story smell a bit porky or I'm been too sensitive/suspicious/paranoid?

2. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    A board builders website that caters to novices to professionals. Lots of great information on anything related to board building and repair.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Bondo (or variants on the theme) was, at one time, a pretty common patch. One type kept popping up when I used to collect vintage boards - which was beige rather than grey and that was used as a filler with no glass, only a hotcoat, over it. Seemed to hold up well on the boards that I rode.
    One of those things where you think you should really redo the repair.... but almost never get around to.

4. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

This: you need to add a bit of Qcell to make it into a paste. Mix with your resin (without catalyst) with your average popsicle stick and if it's too runny, add Qcell in small amounts until it gets into a pasty consistency. When you've got the area to be filled taped off and ready, add the catalyst and go at it. Fill to just above the surface level of the ding and allow to harden fully (do not sand if it's still slightly rubbery). Once hard, sand it to just below flush, cover with multiple layers (3 should do) of 2 or 4oz glass; cut in concentric circles--or the shape of the ding--the smallest goes on first with the largest covering at least a 1/2" outside the area of repair. Sand it flush, then add a gloss coat if you like, then buff out and surf.

5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Hmmmm......sniff, sniff, sniff? Malibootay please send pics updating progress.

6. Malibootay

Malibootay New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Newport/West Hills
    i was banking on getting a link, but i searched around and didnt really get a concrete answer on which type of bondo is best, or if it needs a top coat, everyone seemed to have different opinions.

7. Malibootay

Malibootay New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Newport/West Hills
    Havent bought anything yet, but when i do i will post. Probably be a few weeks.

8. Malibootay

Malibootay New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Newport/West Hills
    I dont think theyre big enough to need cloth. I always just assumed i could do a top coat of resin only on top of q cell, I;ve done this a few times in the past without issue. Im afraid if i add cloth that Ill end up sanding down the area around the board just trying to get it flush. The dents are only like 1-2 mm deep.

9. Malibootay

Malibootay New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Newport/West Hills
    brb getting a rubber mallet from harbor freight

10. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

Hastings Plastics in Santa Monica will have what you need unless you have some place closer to you. They'll set you up with a quart or a pint of poly (or epoxy if that's what kind of board you've got) resin, catalyst, a yard of 4oz. cloth and don't forget a resin spreader. They a have great selection of color, both tints and opaque in small inexpensive jars which go a long way and can be mixed to do your color matching.

Get multiple grits of paper (60, 100, 220, or more if you want glossy finish). If you've got a dremel, better yet. Use the blade head to get a good, clean cut for your upcoming repair. Ask your local shaper for a blank cut and use it for big rail dings; much easier to use than Qcell for larger repairs. Orbital sanders are key too.

Honestly, though Mr. Bootay: if they're that shallow--and haven't yellowed and aren't taking on water--don't bother. If they deepen, go for it.

Moura knows what he's doing, too. Many JBers have used him. Check this vid out.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    ElBrooklyn likes this.