Hanson Surfboards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Veterano, Jul 4, 2018.

1. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    Craig Hollingsworth shapes exceptionally rad boards.

Bighouse likes this.
  2. robsawyer

robsawyer Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Bi-Coastal
    Been surfing my 1966 Hansen 50/50 a ton lately. If someone told me I had to widdle my quiver down to one board - it would be this one. Thrailkill shaped it. Beast of a board. Does everything I need it to, really well. Thanks for sharing the video.

3. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I have a 9'6" 50/50 shaped by Hank Byzak. I love it. But the thought of others out there...new, really interesting.

4. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Hansen still makes a board with the Competitor lam. I've looked at a few in the shop and they are different from the original Competitor. For one thing, the new Competitor does not have a wing nose like the original.

PeakMaster likes this.
  5. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    That could be a deal killer.

6. shapewright

shapewright Active Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    None of the Modern Hansens even faintly resemble the original models, Hank Byzak did ALL masters when Channin produced them.
    See Hank
    Before I left for Portugal I had lunch with one of Hansen's buyers begging me to redo the original stringer combos

PeakMaster likes this.
  7. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    In my opinion an iconic label should accurately reproduce those models kept from the ‘golden age’. Whether hand or machine shaped it matters. Otherwise there is NO/ZERO integrity. Stringers and glue ups too.

PeakMaster likes this.
  8. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    tried a friend's new 9'8 Bing pintail lightweight few years ago, decent ride, nothing special...friend didn't fall in love with it, sold it, that winter while down in SoCal for a hang he picked up a sun browned 9'8 BPTL from the 60's off of CL for cheap...we swapped boards in the lineup the following summer, that old war horse was fun as hell...would have been interesting to do a side by side..

9. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Agreed. That's what I was aiming at. I like what I see at Pure Fun....2500 miles away.