HAGTOBERFEST Surf Rumble

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by The Sea Hag, Oct 6, 2006.

1. g-unit

g-unit New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    thanks for having us!

Tator, weren't you complaining about back problems in the morning? i think i see why now it took all your back control not to face plant on that skimming attempt.!

2. Mantooth

Mantooth New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    in regards to the "triple crown" idea...

when zach and i came up with this, it was much less to make everything "more serious" and much more to bring the three events (and therefore the teams and individuals who helped propagate those events) together in such a way to promote longboarding in our state and in the East.

our vision of it was 3 contests, culminating in a final festival-like atmosphere for the last contest of the series (someone even threw out the idea of even a semi "formal" banquet kind of event...like a real afterparty of sorts). this in turn would hopefully generate more interest by our comrades in other eastern states such as R.I., NY, VA, NC, etc to make the trip up to Jersey to check out what all the commotion is about.

The idea was never to tighten up the competition and bring it to a level that outweighed the general good vibe of longboarding. in fact, i would think that each contest having a different competitive format might level the playing field a little bit while simultaneously distinguishing each event from the next. Holding the same 3 contests at different times of the year and giving them unique names does NOT make them different. the whole thing is ABOUT changing it up, getting people involved, and getting people MORE excited to do what we all already love doing.

as for this other nonsense:

cecil, hags, i wasnt at your contest as i am a grad school student and had an exam that morning. i cant really speak for the conditions or whether or not there should have been a contest. but the fact is, there was one. so, i cant imagine that if all the people on here were hanging out together on a beach that it was all that bad. in fact, that sounds like a great time. probably a much better time than taking a final exam haha

-mantooth

3. richard tator

richard tator New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    I like the Idea, will toss it around with the OLC guys.

Maybe there could be some kind of N.J. longboard coalition, made up of people from each area,

I really like the jersey loggers emblem!!!!!

4. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    In an attempt to start a Triple Crown event, I personally do not want the atmosphere to get serious. The OLC (as I'm shure many of you already know) is all about having fun. Big waves or small waves, contest surfing or free surfing, drinking beer or drinking rum, its fun to have fun. We are all just surfers that love our sport. We like cool boards and cold beer. Beer and surfing seem to be a reoccuring theme in this rant.

Anyway, thanks again to the Hags for having the balls to hold the contest in the conditions we had. Congrats on the win (FINALLY!).

To everyone else, thanks for showing up and surfing in the small waves. If your team didn't do well, there is always next year. Keep your heads up, and we'll see you either @ Logjam or @ an OLC winter contest.

Jamie

5. Mantooth

Mantooth New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    richard tator wrote:
    cool...we'll definitely have to start throwing some ideas at each other.

and thanks about the logo...we dig it too

Smokey wrote:
    my sentiments exactly smokey.

6. unforgiven

unforgiven Member

May 10, 2006
    "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball"

oops wrong qoute

here it is "If you can surf small waves well ,you can surf anything"

never cancel a "just for fun longboard gathering/contest".

if its flat next year have someone walk 1/4 mile down the beach.

have a paddle race from the contest site to the person and back....than drink the rum.

7. Benny

Benny Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Dodge ball surfing.

Here's how it works...

The guys from the previous heat are on the beach and the guys waiting for the next heat are out past the lineup in the water. The guys on the beach huck dodge balls at the surfers coming towards them, who have to duck. The guys out in the water gain points by how many balls they can return to the beach (high lobs - they're not throwing at the surfers). Points are also awarded for hitting a surfer, for surfing as many waves as possible without being hit, and for maneuvers successfully completed to avoid thrown balls.

I claim the movie rights. :p

8. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    NOW THAT SOUNDS LIKE A CONTEST!;)

9. Stretch

Stretch New Member

Oct 19, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    mantooth, thanks for the good explanation of what we want the triple crown to be like. that is exactly it. I see tator and the OLC boys are just like us , and the hags seem to be as well. 3 fun contests, one final fun event. that is how we keep it loose and fun. that is how we avoid becoming like the serious contests (ESA, etc). we are into this b/c we love to surf. that is why we should make more of an effort to make it grow. we want more people into this for the right reasons, not for money and fame, and spotlights. surf b/c you love the ocean and love to ride, not b/c you think it is going to make you famous. I hope we can get this all together and make it happen. I know i talked to a couple of OLC boys and they all seemed to like the idea. Maybe in the future we can even add events if we can grab some other groups from the east coast.

sorry if i sounded like i ws bitchin about the contest. It was just the lack of waves, in all other areas, it was a great day. whenever we can all get together and laugh, it is worth the time. I am done with the contest talk now. Let's do this, and let's keep it fun.

PS - the dodge ball surfing event sounds incredible. we have to throw that in somewhere, haha