Got yelled at by a Sea Lion today

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by dsquare, Apr 5, 2018.

1. dsquare

dsquare Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    Was out at Groins/Finger Jetties in Westport. Everywhere else was crap (I looked) and I was surprised to see clean peeling lefts with nobody on 'em. Took a local kid out to teach him how to surf and so stayed inside most of the session. But was able to snag a few very fun lefts.

We could see a sea lion out swimming back and forth and another one on a harbor bouy about 200 yards away. The big guy had barked at me from a distance a couple of weeks back but was far enough away that I felt ok. I paddled way outside to try to pick off one of the set waves coming through when they showed up. Suddenly about 10 feet away and between me and the shore a huge head pops up and starts barking at me like crazy and shaking its ginormous head. The kid I was with suddenly figured out how to spin his board and paddle. I just laughed but decided to stay inside a little more. That guy was the size of a Volkswagen and he looked angry. My theory is that the sea lion on the buoy is part of his harem and he was patrolling to keep others away.

On the plus side- I'm liking my Walden Magic.

This is not the actual sea lion- but it looks similar

[​IMG]

2. Killafornia

Killafornia Active Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Big knotthead

dsquare likes this.
  3. MJB

MJB Member

Aug 13, 2013
    SD
    Same happened to me in Nor Cal a couple times. Bad breath those things have!
    Yes probably something to do with mating season, I'd keep my distance

4. noparking

noparking Member

Sep 26, 2013
    USA Oregon
    I’ll be working up on my Rainer this summer but spending off time on olympia at my budddy’s place. We should try to go out at Westport.

5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    mid 70's, surfing fun Martins beach with just a buddy, a big sea lion launches out of nowhere from under and behind, lands square on top him, sinks him underwater. Frantic escape maneuvering, sea lion splits, we split, to this day my hella non-PC buddy (think Don Rickles, literally) refers to it as the attack of the queer sea lion....

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    joeblackuz likes this.
  6. dsquare

dsquare Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    Just throw me a PM. Happy to show you around- waves and weather permitting!