Glider Fin Reccomendation

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    Have a 10' x 23" glider being shaped with a bit more outline curve and bottom rocker to handle the local steeper beachbreak and extend the upper end range. The shaper is a fan of the Andreini A flex, be interested in feedback from the glider riders on what fin works best for them.

2. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    Listen to the shaper. I have used Skip Frye fins, but not that big of a fan. I have loved A-Flex's in all of the gliders I have tried them in. My 12' Andreini has an 8 1/4" A-Flex in it after running a couple longer ones.

3. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I have what sounds like a very similar glider shaped by Ricky Carroll for EC beachies (10' x 23 x 3), run either a 7 1/2" 4a for tiny days or a 9" 4a for bigger days, both work beautifully, don't need much fin close to a hard rail.

4. glidewaves

glidewaves Member

Jul 9, 2007
    USA New Jersey,Maryland
    I have an 11'2" Hank Warner Glider. After much experimentation with flexfins, cutaways, hatchets, longrakes etc., I settled on a Pope Hollowfoil (the red one in the pic). Short, fat and stubby is the ticket.

Attached files
    [​IMG]

5. Fubar

Fubar Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    My 11' Andreini has a 7.5" A-Flex. I've tried bigger fins, like a 9" PG Volan Flex fin. It just slows things down. Skip Frye, in some interview, recommends smaller fins and he's right.

I think all you do with the fin is complete the takeoff and get the rail engaged. After that. it's all trim.

DJR likes this.
  6. finshack

finshack Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Finland
    Skips North Shore fins are a great choice as they come in a great range of sizes, A Flex also as previously mentioned, 4A too… go as small as you dare, around 8'' would be a good starting point.
    I'm going to try a short stubby non-flex fin once we get some rideable swell here, I think any flex pattern will get less noticeable at smaller sizes anyhow, we shall see.
    I run 8'' Frye in 11' 2'' Frye, with 6'' + 2.5's as an alternative (in pic).8 1/4 A-Flex or 8'' Frye in Mabile 10' 6''

Attached files
    [​IMG]

7. Dynaglyder

Dynaglyder Member

Dec 21, 2011
    I use an 8.25" A flex on my Andreini 11' Glider and have found no need to test another fin. Placement of the fin in the center of the box maximizes performance.

8. Croweater

Croweater Active Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Carlsbad, CA
    Salty Merchants Fins out of Australia are badass. I have the Stumpy and Salty Dog (on sale). The Salty Dog is on my 11' Anderson and I love it. I just ordered the Beau Young fin and the exchange rate helps out with the cost. Lachlan Leckie the owner is a great dude and delivery is fast.

http://www.thesaltymerchants.com/

9. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    seeing a trend for the Andreini...interesting the trend towards the shorter ones, my shaper rides a 9 1/4" on his own glider, mine will be clone of his, in waist high to well overhead.

10. Fubar

Fubar Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Same experience, tiny waves to head high (it's the east coast, remember). But, with the aforementioned 7.5" A flex at the center of the box has always felt the best. The bigger fins do slow things down.