Glider designs and shapers

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by hullogfish, Dec 5, 2018 at 11:24 PM.

tail and fin set up

1. pin tail single fin

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. swallow tail quad

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. other

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. hullogfish

hullogfish Active Member

Dec 22, 2006
    USA California
    I am in the beginning stages of thinking about ordering a glider, but want some input on both design and shaper. I have had great luck with EC, but hear very little about his glider design. Obviously I see designs by Hank Warner, Mitsven, Chris Christenson, etc and want your opinion on whatever shapers you've had great luck with, specifically their glider designs. Also, I seem to love quads, but have never had one beyond a 7 footer. I am curious what you guys think about the wider swallow tail quad finned gliders versus the pintail single fin variety. Please add your 2 cents.

Knots likes this.
  2. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    You need to talk to Steve. He has probably tried so many more different gliders. I only have tried pintails. Ricky Carroll, Warner, Eavey, Skip, Andreini, and Christenson. All have been so different. Really want a Phillips ka poe next.

Knots likes this.
  3. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    I have ridden or owned gliders from 10'2" to 12'1" from Andreini, Hess, Mabile, Hall, Holderman and many others. In my opinion, you can't beat Andreini for a glider that will literally work in anything. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed all of them and most of them all worked spectacular. Most seemed to work better in chest high or smaller. All of my Andreini gliders worked phenomenal from ankle slappers to overhead. This is just my opinion though and results will vary. There are a lot of amazing board builders out there that will shape you a killer sled. Speaking of EC, I always thought that an 11' Pelican would be killer and was on my list had I ever moved back out west.

jbb likes this.