Glassing rooms

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by zEd, Oct 16, 2017.

1. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Good advice on here. I would like to see pics too. Just my opinion but it makes sense to keep it simple your first go round. No real need to expect yourself to produce a board with fancy color work etc. Laminating, fill coating, sanding, all with a strong and clean finished product is enough stress. Enjoy each stage. Thanks for posting.

zEd likes this.
  2. Tenderloin Tom

Tenderloin Tom New Member

Jan 2, 2017
    West side
    you shaped it ,you glass,sand it!whats the point of shaping and not glassing? I like shaper supply.com for supplies...Throw down a tarp and glass it up where you shaped it. Clean up first.. I would go with resin research fast resin and 4oz or 6oz cloth bottom. 2 x cloth on deck of your choice.. during falling tempatures glass it..warm up the resin not hardener .slowly mix it up for 4 Minutes . lay it on. Work it softly up down side to side up ,down fold the flaps.. a sponge paint roller workers well on the flaps,dump resin in a wide pan for flaps..,start in the middle and work towards tips.sand flaps, lay down a cheater coat on flats to make smooth ramp.. Do 2x hot coats on each side (top,bottom,top,bottom)with rail taped off a apex and brush with a nice brush up down side to side up down and stand clear for 1 hour then pull tape... sand inbetween with sander attached to vaccum... .Cure for a week....fine sand rails and flats to 320 and seal it with a sealer like behr tile sealer..Never touch raw foam or fiberglass without gloves in any stage ..Easy peas z ..go surf it

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    sonOsea likes this.
  3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Tom you sound like an experienced glasser with a process. Two questions: Do you think Resin Research Quik Kick gives a newbie enough working time? Is the cheater coat part of doing a 'freelap' around the rails instead of a cutlap? Oh.....and do you recommend sealing an EPS blank before laminating?

4. Tenderloin Tom

Tenderloin Tom New Member

Jan 2, 2017
    West side
    Aloha sr grom! I’ve done 40 boards start to finish so no pro just a back yard hack.. the fast resin is different then the kwik kick. There’s a slow ,fast,kk. The kk is to fast in my opinion,fast gives me ample time 20-30 min in my climate..the cheater coat on the lap just smoothes the transition but I usually do free laps..and yes definitely seal up eps foam with a light wait spackle mixed with a little bottled water to thin it out.then fine sand it..since there’s many little pockets that will soak up the resin. just my 2 cents..

5. OneLove

OneLove Member

Feb 17, 2004
    My advice... send it to a glass shop. Unless you're determined to learn the craft of glassing, it is WELL worth it. Messy, fraught with potential mistakes, and will look homemade your first try. I've glassed 5-6 boards, couple kayaks and a skiff so speaking from just my few experiences. Shaping=fun, glassing=not so much, IMHO.

Your shape looks rad by the way.

my 2 cent

6. Ozimec

Ozimec New Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Long Beach
    My two cents . . . If you're really stoked on the shape, pay to have it professionally glassed. If you're more interested in process, glass it yourself with a simple glassing schedule (no colors, no volan, etc.) and expect it to look like someone's first time glassing. Either way, if it holds water then I'd say you'll be stoked.

7. sonOsea

sonOsea Active Member

Apr 6, 2010
    USA
    I like the shape.

I'm with Tom on this... you've done it all thus far. Go for it!

In my opinion the just experience is worth the effort. I've only done a hand full myself but learn something new each time i do.
    My mantra when glassing is, "keep moving! Don't get caught up in any one problem area. It can all be fixed later if need be" .

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  8. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    Hey zEd, check out Fiberglass Services in Oceanside for materials. They are also really helpful in terms of questions and advice - especially about the specific products that they sell.

As far as glassing goes, you can get by glassing in your garage or outside just fine. I’m not saying that glassing is easy by any stretch, but getting a board water tight and rideable is something that most people can do if they just give it a shot. Perhaps you can try your hand at shaping another board and then choose between which one to Glass first as a practice run... or, if you have leftover foam you can try to laminate a hand plane or something to get a feel for it first.

My two cents: once your pour in the catalyst and mix, the clock is ticking!

Wade In The Waves and zEd like this.
  9. McQuad

McQuad Active Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Fernandina beach
    Fiberglass Hawaii aluzine clear with slow hardener. For the sanding coat use thick and fast. Any of the guys at the counter will get you set up. Really easy and wets out waaaayyyyy better than the eco stuff. Not to mention the color stays bright. Seal the blank with sherwin Williams spackle. Also, buy a $10 food scale to weigh your resin. 48:1 by weight vs the 50:1 by volume. Take notes. That's important