General question about gliders

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by WhiteRussian, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Good point NJ especially if the swell frequency is less than say 22 seconds.

2. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012

Tom, i can't remember...did you ride the 11' shark camo eps or the 10' hippy pin eps?

3. davey

davey Active Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    Tom Wegener at Noosa is amazing to watch. True class..

DJR likes this.
  4. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    The 11' shark camo John. Marc's rehab board. Magic!

5. ekim

ekim Active Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Quote:
    There’s a thread where Bruce Fowler was commenting on the benefits of wide pintails when it comes to gliders. My Martin has a custom 16.5” tail and extra kick and that definitely helps. The GP is only about 15 1/4” and the difference is obvious, but I can still turn it. If I ever get another custom glider made, I’d probably go 17” or frankly, as wide the blank will allow.

I'd Like to read this thread. Can you post a link?[/QUOTE]

6. ChyandourSlider

ChyandourSlider Member

Nov 3, 2016
    West Cornwall, UK
    Take what SenoirGrom and NJ Longboarder have to say on conditions, and what Jim says about weight. Wise words!

My 10'6" ChrisCraft is narrow at 22" and a bit and is thinned out at the tail. As a result it's relatively light and surfs like a much shorter board, fast and maneuverable, in the right conditions. In the wrong conditions, ie steep drop, you know you've got 10'6" of plank under you!
    Get in earlier on a fat one and enjoy the ride.

Planktom and Croweater like this.
  7. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Lots of video of Skip riding one of his Eagle gliders on the Internet.

DJR likes this.
  8. Mango Bill

Mango Bill Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2006
    USA California
    46754E4D-7B45-47AC-A3E0-088429435D4D.jpeg 97E019B3-7B7F-488D-B31C-62052F7527F6.jpeg F08C6862-D761-4424-BFCD-5EAD879B22FF.jpeg I like to think of it as Quiet Surfing, I have a 11’ Josh Hall Le Sliviar and 8’7” Michael Miller eagle a mini glider both are best surfed in a minimal style all about trim and taking energy from the wave one or half step cross steps to gain speed and momentum subtle ankle inputs from mid board relaxed style. If you ever get to watch Skip surf them at San O you will get it no wasted movement or lost energy surfing. I think that’s what I like best about surfing them no flash look at me just timeless surfing in trim,maybe Glider Boy or some others can chime in on why they like riding them.

9. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    when it comes right down to it a glider is just a long board. So dont over think it.
    They turn fine - if you can turn a longboard you can turn a glider. If it initially feels stiff move the fin forward in the box some.

So If you check out your set up on a given day and go "yeah, longboard conditions" then a glider is equally appropriate.

Not all gliders are >11'
    For the waves I'm riding I like them at 10' and slightly under. My 9'9s get the most love. I have an 11'2 for "special" days. it's a blast in medium size clean and fairly lined up waves. The longer gliders need a bit of a wall.

I agree with Jim weight is a critical factor but not too light, momentum is equally critical and weight is a integral feature. I like my gliders ~ 18-20lbs. It generally just ends up that way with dbl 6oz deck and single 6oz bottom with a 1/2" to 3/4" stringer.
    I like to ride mine on strong offshore days because they paddle so well. I find that the weight is helpful staying connected.

Lastly, I think most people riding noserider longboards for the crutch factor(e.g. not for noseriding) would be having way more fun on a long egg or glider style board.

DJR, hankster, Lackosense and 5 others like this.
  10. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I really like the fish Simmons set up too. they turn amazingly well 20180923_133332.jpg 20180923_132851.jpg