Gary Hanel Pill- the world’s best groveler

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by icecreamheadache, Nov 20, 2018.

1. icecreamheadache

icecreamheadache Active Member

Jan 14, 2006
    This is about longboards insofar as this is what is possible if you take one of First Point Eric’s logs and divide by two. Which is both longboards and math. Which is double smart.

After years and years of trying to alchemize a sub-6’ groveler that will let an ugly 200 pounder with shite balance and zero talent skate knee thigh high and smaller dribblers like a 1990s era H Street video, the dark lords of Fate, Destiny and Math Teachers dropped this in my lap: 5’5” x 21” Gary Hanel Pill. Been out for three sessions in abject dogshit shin to waist surf and fuck me if this thing positively flies. And allows you to do cutties and floaters and beligerent angry white guy snaps on things you wouldn’t even wet your log on. Although I still think the Bonzer MLV 3 is a better ride at waist to head high with some room to run and a proper fish is a joy on a long point or reef (ala that old Surfer article noting that a good fish makes 2’ Cardiff feel like 6’ Kirra), this thing positively squirts joy and Hocus Pocus in subwaist conditions. This revelation comes after riding the Lost... Puddle Jumper, CI Biscuit, Stretch Mr Buzz, Roberts Mush Machine, Noll quad egg, and Super Fling in similar sizes.

Big ups to Gary for making this freakishly fun design. Shackle Me Not.

Attached Files:

russneversleeps likes this.
  2. kclibman

kclibman Active Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    Yup, had a 5'2" one of these and regret letting it go every day. No board has the right to be as fun as that one does.

3. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    I'd venture to say the von sol flying manta is even better :p, at the lower end of the grovel spectrum

4. ekim

ekim Active Member

Oct 14, 2015
    what's the fin setup?

5. russneversleeps

russneversleeps New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    There must be a lot of board packed in to those dimensions. Perfect for those ICH missions to malarial swamps, ice fields and DMZs across the world.

6. Speak

Speak Member

Jul 17, 2012
    USA California
    If we're talking pure grovel-ability, I think Mabile's White Pony blows them all out of the water. Such a blast on even shin high days.

For some reason I never clicked with the Flying Manta. I've tried 3 different sizes and the board just doesn't work for me.

FalseDawn likes this.
  7. Clomics

Clomics Active Member

Nov 5, 2012
    The Pill has always looked really fun. I had a Hanel Dew Drop that went pretty well as a groveler (basically the front end of a Pill with a pulled in rounded pin/thumb tail, and some beautiful bonzer-esque concaves between the fins). I've had a Christensen Ocean Racer for years that never does me wrong on the low end of things, but can still hang and glide when it gets head head or a touch bigger. I will always keep one in my quiver.

The Hank Warner power hull has been super intriguing too: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjNz0SblBGs/

8. Love my pill. Gary is easy to work with and boards are very reasonably priced. Get one.

I'm currently running Shapers DVS quad keels (per Cuda's recommendation). Goes great in anything.