((FlipVille))

Discussion in 'Longboard Surf Buy/Sell/Trade' started by BrazilButtNut, Dec 2, 2018.

1. BrazilButtNut

BrazilButtNut Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Ventura, CA
    As far as I'm concerned, flippers are the enemies of jammers. Nothing wrong with reselling a board... this thread is about those dudes who buy a board for 200 and post it the next day for 750 with new photos and description.

Thought it might be a good/fun thread to start on here. Feel free to ignore though!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  2. michael

michael Active Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    I don’t like this. I think we should keep negative vibes far away from here.

But whatever, carry-on if you so choose.

:)

3. BrazilButtNut

BrazilButtNut Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Ventura, CA
    Good point! Probably better to keep it positive. :D

4. mitch44

mitch44 Member

Sep 3, 2018
    California
    I like it. I’d say more of a heads up to not overpay for a board that’s being flipped. Nothing bad about that!

BrazilButtNut likes this.
  5. HerbB

HerbB Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    I’m off the free market economy mindset.

I’ve already sold a couple of rare boards here. Those that bought, feel free to flip away. No harm, no foul on my end.

JBorbone likes this.
  6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    The subject has been hashed and rehashed at length on here. It happens here and elsewhere.

walkingtheplank likes this.
  7. kclibman

kclibman Active Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    I still think some of these flippers are so egregious that it merits some kind of warning to the larger community as a whole. Making a buck out of necessity, fine, I get that, but using this as a side hustle while being dishonest about what you're selling is a moral offense, personally.

There are a few guys who do this with a fervor and do not contribute anything more to the greater community (Omar, a couple pricks in Sunset Beach). I usually defend Board Source's model as Jon has been straightforward with me and is a pleasure to deal with, and has also been a North County surfer for upwards of 35 years, but there are faltering moments.

Take this for instance: In this post, a man is selling off some surfboards for his brother, and likely does not know what he has on his hands. I can only hope this is not an estate situation, but I am not sure. The Brom and bonzer went incredibly quick and I posted about it in the SoCal Craigslist thread. The biggest gem was that Eberly Lightning Bolt - it sold for $100. Jon now has it up for 6.5 times that amount, and it's to make a buck - I am willing to bet this wasn't surfed and that he paid asking price for it. Bums me out but this is the nature of the resale game, it seems.

Capitalism, free economy, yes; if you want to do business with these people, no one here can stop you, of course. There's some element of hippie karma to our whole culture here, and whether you embrace it personally or not, a lot of people I know do - more on that later. It's worth being an informed consumer, in my eyes, and knowing who you're handing your dollar over to, and what that person stands for.

I hope these people keep getting called out, or eventually get burned by the wrong person. Our community is far too small for some of these operators to scam, cheat or burn people themselves.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  8. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    Welcome to the US. I can't believe that people complain here about the number 1 rule about this country: making money.
    Nothing else matters.
    I don't mind at all if a guy wants to make a profit. This is not a beneficence forum. And also is pretty clear here that everyone knows the value
    of each board on the forum; there's too many board police around.
    So if anyone wants to make a buck, have it. I don't care at all.

cheyneskeezer and JBorbone like this.
  9. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I enjoy KC's detective work on the flips. Other than that, I have no dog in this fight. There's a sucker born everyday and cheeto is president as absolute truth of this.

10. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Well written kc.....stay on it and call them out as you wish. Within our community misrepresenting a boards’ condition is not so cool. Some members are willing to buy a board sight unseen then get stuck. On CL it’s a total fugazy crapshoot.