Fins and fin theory for noseriding?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by flipper, Sep 3, 2008.

1. flipper

flipper New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    On wetsand, the fin guide says: "Rake can also aid in noseriding by hooking into the curl." It gives this example:

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, a fin-theory vid on youtube specifically recommends *against* rake and comes down firmly on the side of a pivot fin such as:

[​IMG]
    So I guess my question is: lots of rake or very little rake or, as seems likely, does it just come down to board, wave and personal preference?

I ask because I'm just starting to get toward the nose and I'm feeling a lot of wobble as I get up there -- though that may be more a function of lack of skill than the fin or anything else. I ride point and reef breaks only and, in fact, am riding an 11-2 stand-up-paddle board with a 9.5" Farberow Flex fin in it. (Though I ride a SUP, I figured you guys here would know more about fins for a long board than anyone else). Thoughts, anyone? Would one fin be better for a noseriding beginner than another fin? Etc?

Thanks!

2. enchilladas

enchilladas New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    USA
    stuff it. that's the key.

3. little AL

little AL Member

Feb 17, 2004
    USA
    The SUP that I have seen have the wrong rail, and the wrong bottom to make a good nose rider. I ride longer boards myself, but they are surfboards. I use a 11" Power Glide fin that Lance design for use on a nose rider. This fin has very little flex, but does have a little more rake then the true pivot fin.

4. Benny

Benny Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    If you have the right tail rocker & rails, any fin that's relatively long and has a good amount of surface area should work.

5. flipper

flipper New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    interesting stuff, esp the wegener essay. also: the power glide fin looks interesting, semi-pivotal, i guess. Meanwhile, after my morning session, I looked at my fin and it's not the Farberow Flex I've got on there but a 10" Squirrel cutaway, like so:

[​IMG]

All things being equal, how does that look for a noseriding fin?

6. little AL

little AL Member

Feb 17, 2004
    USA
    Like a piece of crap.

flipper wrote:

7. flipper

flipper New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    little AL wrote:
    whew -- well at least it's not totally me that's at fault. got any suggestions for a commonly available fin to replace the squirrel with? the lance one doesn't show up for sale at his site nor in my quick google search.

what about that pivot one as seen above, at 10". or, at least, what do you think the behavioral characteristics of that fin would be? once more:

[​IMG]

8. aslbuck

aslbuck Member

Jan 29, 2005
    You're riding an 11'2 SUP as your standard longboard? This is the board you are "moving towards the nose" on and seeking fin advice for?

9. unforgiven

unforgiven Member

May 10, 2006