Fin recommendations - Bing Collector

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by takedown, Nov 6, 2017.

1. takedown

takedown Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    I have a 8' Bing Collector on the way to Oregon this week and I'm looking for fin recommendations. The board has 4+1 FCS.

I'm 200lbs (add another 5-10 for wetsuit), 5'10 and I'll primarily be surfing in Oregon. I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I'm reading up all the information on fins, but haven't gotten a clear idea of good starting points. I'd like to have options and then try them out (single, 2+1, quad) to figure out what I like for the conditions of the day at my skill level.

The board comes with a set of FCS quads which I'll try out. I also have a 8" Larry Allison flex fin. I had read that board length + 1" is a good place to start on a single fin so should I look at a 9"? I was considering another Allison Flex or a 4a. Any others I should consider? What setup should I look at for a 2+1 setup? Would the 8" with small side bites be too much fin?

Added picture of the board: [​IMG]

Thanks all!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  2. ekim

ekim Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Not an expert at 2+1 setup but the Allison 8" flex is a fine start as a single. No need for a 4a .I think it's basically the same fin. As far as 2+1 you might use the quad rears and a 7" upright like a dobson?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  3. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    for 2+1 no center fin flex.

I like a WR, Smith-Parrish, Bonzer, brewer template. I like em with a fair amount of base. Maybe 6.5in. center fin with thruster sides

MDM likes this.
  4. takedown

takedown Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    So 8" on a 8' board is a good place to start and I shouldn't worry about a 9" single fin?

Something like a 6.5" with roughly 3.5" sides?

The quads that came with the board are G1000 + M5, would either of these work well as the sides paired with the 6.5" center?

How does the board being a rounded pin affect fin decisions?

Thanks for the help.

5. MDM

MDM Active Member

Dec 12, 2011
    USA New Hampshire
    Even it hipster hull type boards? I've always felt weird putting a flex in a 2 plus one . Sorry for the off topic question.

6. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    I am glad I didn't see this when I put a 7" 4A in my 2+1 with thruster side bites. Because it works great on a 9' Ole rounded tail LB.

7. ekim

ekim Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Yes , you can use the fronts or backs from the quad set. As long as the rears are flat edged and not 80/20 or 50/50.Center fin 6.25"- 6.5" -7" -7.5 is good. I'd call the Bing shop and ask them specifically what to use.