Fin question: 4A versus Kd Miss Lucy?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by CT Charlie, Feb 10, 2018.

1. CT Charlie

CT Charlie Member

Jul 22, 2017
    SNJ
    Hola! Im curious if anyone can tell me what the diff is between the 4A and the KD Miss Lucy? I am currently using a 4a on my 9'6 JP Hustler and find the 4a great for the NJ area. However, I have noticed that a good amount of Jim Philips boards come standard with a KD ms Lucy? Am I missing something? At this point in my surfing life it's about ease in paddling, wave count, and quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Gracias

2. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    I'll toss something out. I've never ridden a Miss Lucy, but I have a Sparky. Probably the only thing you might be missing is more tip time.

I would think you would lose maneuverability over the 4a.

John

CT Charlie likes this.
  3. CT Charlie

CT Charlie Member

Jul 22, 2017
    SNJ
    Hello-I'm not familiar with a sparky? The 4A is very stable, but does not allow for much in the way of maneuverability, or nose riding. You are spot on with your assessment. Can you recommend where to come across a sparky? Thanks for the response John.

Cos

4. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    The 4a should be more maneuverable not the sparky. The sparky is similar to the miss lucy, has a bit more rake.

If you feel the 4a isn't maneuverable enough, I would think it is where it is positioned in the fin box. I found the 4a a little too loose unless I moved it back.

In your case I'd move it up.

John

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I might be way off base on this. I find that I cheat forward especially on heavy vintage logs. By concentrating on standing on the tail when popping up, boards pivot, turn, and accelerate better. Then find the power on the face by getting in trim. Fin shape and postion are important, just a thought.

6. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    lol... I cheat as much as I can these days as my legs just don't want to move as much. Easy to get lazy and not get back far enough.

My fins are pushed as far forward I can without losing too much stability (balance and age is interesting as I work through my mid 60's).

Fin forward, big base, and plenty of rake seems to be the recipe.

John

CT Charlie likes this.
  7. CT Charlie

CT Charlie Member

Jul 22, 2017
    SNJ
    Hello SG, thanks for the advice. The board, or rather performance related question, I have a 9'6 JP Hustler and was interested in a fin with a bit more versatility than my current fin, the 4A. I was curious what the diff was between the 4A and Ms KD Lucy fins? And a quick side note, I would like to spend more of my log time on the front of the board! Thanks in advance for the feedback. Fyi- I did happen to find the Sparky fin at Fibre Glas Fin. So, thanks John.

8. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I’ve always wondered the same thing about JP seeming to pick the Miss Lucy as the fin of choice for many of his models. Could be it’s a good blend of pivot and drive. I took another look at Jim’s website and the outlines of different shapes. I noticed the Hustler has it’s wide point moved more forward than many of the more piggy shapes popular now. Sounds goofy but I’m not the best at describing what I feel from fins and postioning. I like the question but the best I have is a non-answer.

CT Charlie likes this.
  9. shapewright

shapewright Active Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    Actually the Miss Lucy has a fair amount of rake, but is more vertical in the base area.
    What I like is tip area on a fin to hold in on the nose and on more performance oriented boards less tip area.
    The Hustlers wide point is behind center, but with the additional nose width it loses that appearance.
    Often here the question is, what fin should I use ? Try as many as possible and get a feel of what is best for you

CT Charlie and shadydave like this.
  10. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    FWIW, I don't use a sparky anymore. It was just a somewhat similar shape and no one had responded. My advice is to move the fin up since you feel the 4a is not very maneuverable.

John