Fin Help

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by rootdown, Jan 31, 2018.

1. rootdown

rootdown Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for the help everyone. took it out in some snowy fun waist high surf early this am at my local narragansett area longboard spot. Stoked. The board is a total blast. Really loose with the california classic but still had enough drive. just a bit tippy with the heavy roll in the tail of the board, but made for some smooth tight cutbacks. At some point I might go with something else with similar area, but longer with a narrower base.

2. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    You may want to slide it back in 1/4" increments until it feels a bit more stable but still turns well.

There are people here who have forgotten more than I know. Longer with less base is an interesting combo. Wingnut Cutaway, Harbour HP fins kinda fin the bill. Personally I find them somewhat limited, although I'm running an HP in my Infinity. Vee and hard rails in the tail seem to be a requirement or you lose too much drive.

A Greenough 4a fin moved back a bit might be a good way to go. For me it is about dialing in the fin tip to tail spot for stability and then using that as a rough guide. More rake or more base moves up the leading edge, and that seems to help to loosen up a board.

As I said there are real fin gurus out there, I just noodle with them till I like the compromise.

John

rootdown likes this.
  3. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Wow - nice work - that thing looks killer. Let me know if you ever get an itch to shape / build a mid-length 2+1 egg!

rootdown likes this.
  4. DKNJ

DKNJ Active Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Ocean, NJ
    The Velzy Classic mentioned above will work super well & have a super positive feel. If you are looking for a little more release, you can never go wrong w a Greenough 4A

5. ChyandourSlider

ChyandourSlider Member

Nov 3, 2016
    West Cornwall, UK
    [​IMG]

9.75". Goes a treat in my Con Pintail.

CT Charlie, DKNJ, dingdong and 2 others like this.
  6. rootdown

rootdown Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Rhode Island
    Ive never really liked the wide base skinny tip, but Ill have to give it a chance, considering how much people love the 4a. I tried out a 9.75 A-flex from rainbow this am and really liked the lively feel of it.

DKNJ likes this.
  7. DKNJ

DKNJ Active Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Ocean, NJ
    You want to have fun... hold up a Velzy Classic next to same size 4A. Except for the flex, you're not going to see a whole lot of difference.

8. ChyandourSlider

ChyandourSlider Member

Nov 3, 2016
    West Cornwall, UK
    The wide base will give you a stable and reliable take off and bags of drive. Nice drawn out turns and just the right amount of flex and release. I tend use the Con and 4A on larger days when I want a bit more speed and confidence. I have the fin set right at the front of the box to help keep her loose.

9. joeblackuz

joeblackuz Member

Apr 15, 2005
    I know a like of people dont like the rudder look. But the 9.75" stage 6 greenough should work in the board too. It will stabilize the tippy but will still allow you to turn and noseride.

Just my $0.02.

10. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    You may not have ridden that board enough, or even longboards, to know what different fins do. And fin position can make or break the way the board rides.

If you like the A-flex, keep moving it up or back until it is too loose or too stable. You may find the sweet spot for it or it may end up on the shelf. But you will learn what it has or lacks and go from there. And then a month down the road you may have a better feel for the board and go a different direction. Sometimes (often) that magic fin loses the magic after a while.

John