Fin Help

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by rootdown, Jan 31, 2018.

1. rootdown

rootdown New Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Rhode Island
    Hi, new guy here. Ive lurked about a bit before but never posted. Hoping to tap in to your collective experience. Rhode Island surfer and backyard shaper. I am just finishing up this 9'6x22.75"x3.125" cruisy longboard. Soft rails, pinched in the tail, pretty flat in the middle to roll/vee out the last third. Not a lot of longboard experience and never ridden anything like this before. Any suggestions on fins? I have a 9" california classic to try once i finish sanding and get this thing wet.
    [​IMG]

SeniorGrom and dingdong like this.
  2. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Welcome Ross, do you have a rocker shot of that beauty?

3. rootdown

rootdown New Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Rhode Island
    Hi Dave! not a great rocker shot... but its a fairly continuous rocker just around 4" nose and tail

upload_2018-1-31_14-15-19.png

shadydave likes this.
  4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Welcome and well done. You do the glassing too? I don’t have a longboard with a similar template but I’m sure many on here will have fin recommendations. Looking forward to a ride report too.

5. rootdown

rootdown New Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Rhode Island
    I do the glass too. Its glassed heavy with 7.5oz volan cloth. can see the lap better here:

upload_2018-1-31_14-55-34.png

Attached Files:

JMJackFish likes this.
  6. dingpatch

dingpatch Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    Very Nice!

Welcome.

rootdown likes this.
  7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    congrats on what looks to be a nice first attempt on a LB...whereas you'll eventually end up with a collection of LB fins as we all do, based on the relatively narrower width of your board, a 9" Cali Classic fin should be fine to start with.

Suggest using the Bill Thrailkill '2/3 length' method for determining initial starting position on the fin.

Lay the fin on it's side with the transition line 'in the box/above the box' of the fin centered front to back over the middle width of the box. Slid the fin up until 6" of the forward edge of the fin is lined up with the rail edge, and 3" of the tip is out past the rail. Mark the base location, install the fin accordingly, and give it a go, moving the fin forward/backward in 1/4" increments during trail runs until finding the sweet spot.

rootdown and JMJackFish like this.
  8. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    I had a 10' Velzy pintail (23") that has now found a very deserving new home. The board spent years on the rafters. It had a similar template. Although the angle of the pic above can be deceiving. Also, it looks like your board has hard rails in the tail, as did my Velzy.

At any rate, when I did surf the board I used a 9.5" Velzy Classic like the one above. After surfing big heavy boards 27+ lbs, riding the Velzy with that fin was way too loose. And if I kept it I would go with a fin that had more volume.

However, the new owner loves it the way it is. He also rides an 8'6" and 9'6" 2+1. I'd follow the advice already given for the starting point on your Ca Classic and if you want it to turn easier, keep moving it up until it feels right or you run out of box.

John

rootdown likes this.
  9. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Nice work!!

rootdown likes this.