Fiji Trip

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by OrangeDog, Oct 10, 2017.

1. OrangeDog

OrangeDog Guest

Booking a trip late next year to Fiji.

Any recommendation on places to surf near Nadi?

Calling Malibushuffle....

2. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    OD...if youre willing to make the trek thru Navilawa....i can put you on to a guy that will grill you giant longhorn beetle grubs....they taste like absolute sh*t (think small sausages...appreciable crackly outer skin--but with the mouth-feel (translation: "anything BUT a delicious gooey center") of pudding and rotten banana leaves) just let me know..
    odogc.jpg

Surfertom likes this.
  3. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    best to boat out to the reef spots

Surfnfish and OrangeDog like this.
  4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    absolutely, i's not Fiji without a taste of the offshore reefs..if Cloudbreak more then you want, Namotu is much easier, plenty fun on whatever you want to surf..

5. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Would you go so far as to say Namotu is...."super fun"?

...just curious.

6. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Cloudbreak has many faces..it's not a perfect, linear wave like G-Land, where the swell gets cleaned up going through the strait and wraps with precision down the reef. CB is an open ocean wave with a wide open playing field, and can be a very defined lineup on a clean swell, whereas on a bigger, raw swell it will offer up multiple take-off zones with a good chance of getting rolled by swing sets. The reef is not particularly sharp compared to others, but it's still a reef. And if caught inside and pushed over the reef, it's a long ass paddle around to the channel and back out again. A good day out there, however, can offer up one of the best sessions of your life. If you can handle the North Shore, or your local when it's pitching well OH, you can handle CB. Not a LB wave for the average good surfer, however, racy mo betta.

Namotu is super user friendly. It's a softer wave then CB, doesn't pitch as much, has a well defined channel, lineup zone is smaller and more manageable, breaks right off the island. It's a wave you could easily ride on a HPLB.

Back in the day my son and I would stay on Viti Levu at a now closed chill beach hang, hiring a boat out of Momi Bay each day with a few friends from West Oz and NZ, had our pick of several waves including the right over at Wilkes Pass..good times.

Thing about taking surf trips to places like Fiji and other 'other side of the world' destinations..regardless of the waves you score or how well you surfed, just making it happen says everything about your commitment to both surfing and the journey through life..

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    MDM, Chilly Willy, FalseDawn and 4 others like this.
  7. icecreamheadache

icecreamheadache Active Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Fiji is fabulous. And super easy. With super good longboard waves. A friend of a friend named Henry opened this place: https://www.facebook.com/Rendezvoussurfcampfiji/
    and me and homegirl stayed there for two weeks in April. It's right on the water and literally a five minute boat ride to Restaurants/Tavarua, ten to Namuotu and 15 to Cloudbreak. It is a full on extended family type situation with heaps of massive sweet people around sharing food and kava and music into the late, late night every single night. To the point I was missing first shift surfs every morning because I was hungover from kava, fiji bitter and playing Last Resort songs way out of context. The boat drivers include local pros and local shredders (family) who are ridiculously nice. It's a halfhour South of Nadi (a $20 taxi or like a 50 cent bus ride from Nadi Central Bus terminal). I went there the first week of April which is- sadly- when the pros all showed up. We paid three times for alcohol what we spent on room and board there and I remember it being like $50 a night or something- cheaper than staying in those motels in san clemente where you can buy heroin by the ice machine.

My mates got there a week early and scored triple overhead makeable cloudbreak with only the five of them out for an entire day and then three days of double overhead restaurants with seven guys out. We still scored surf at heaps of B-list breaks with just us out, but the Cloudbreak sessions got crowded with Jordys and Danes and Micks and Zekes and Swimming Pools turned into a soft top shit show with dozens of european girls flopping around the whitewater in string bikinis which as even the most prude Mormon can say, is a mixed bag. Even when things were getting competitive in the water, the vibe in Fiji is so goddamn good it's impossible to have a bad time. Go! Have a blast! I'll be back there en route to or from somewhere else this spring.

8. Veterano

Veterano Active Member

Aug 29, 2013
    "late next year". Well, that should give you time to get ready.
    "those motels in san clemente where you can buy heroin by the ice machine." And you don't even need to plan a year in advance.

9. Veterano

Veterano Active Member

Aug 29, 2013
    that all ya got? Got a kick out of your "spots surfed" resume.