Eye candy

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Benny, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Benny

Benny Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    So I'm in Huntington anyway for a Paper Stock Industries Conference (yawn!) and the Creme/Paul Frank/CJ Nelson show was on last night so I went by. The boards were gorgeous. Talked to CJ a bit and one of the artists behind "Paul Frank Industries" (no actual guy named PF). Scout was there too, but she was the only person I knew at all.

There was a showing of State of Mind, the new CJ & friends movie. The movie was really good - for some reason they seemed able to zero in on certain maneuvers, but with more wave face showing for context. Made it seem like you can actually break down what they're doing well enough to figure out how to do it yourself. Well, except for the hanging heels for 300 yards parts, I just don't see that in my personal future.:p

L-R; CJ, Robin Kegel, "Paul Frank"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one was my favorite:

[​IMG]

Only about 6 out of 50 were still unsold when the show started. I think all but one of those sold as well. Sales price on all 50 was $3500.

I gotta work on those Sugar boards. I could use a spare $175,000.

Edit: forgot one important part (my two favorite four-letter words): free beer :D

2. silversurf

silversurf New Member

Apr 7, 2004
    USA Texas
    Good lookin' boards, Benny ... but maybe not $3,500 worth of good lookin'.

Still, cool boards and free beer -- sounds like a heck of a night out.

3. unforgiven

unforgiven Member

May 10, 2006
    i like them.nice to see some board makers getting as far away from the pop outs as possible.on the web site the boards are only $799.

see the new wetsuits are also up on the website.i like them but not sure the north east is ready for them.most people around here dont like too be flashy.

Attached files
    [​IMG]

4. Singlefinglide

Singlefinglide New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    UF

I was checking out some sweet looking all wood boards that are being shaped up in Maine. I think it was Grain Surfboards. As for the wetsuits, I think I would probably get my ass kicked down here in Jersey and that is just what my friends would do to me:shock:, no telling what the guys that don't know me would do.

Surfer K.

5. Benny

Benny Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    unforgiven wrote:
    But those aren't signed by Paul Frank!

:p

6. slideright

slideright Member

Oct 19, 2006
    thanks for the pix

Creme has the crew for sure

7. Scout

Scout New Member

Jul 29, 2004
  8. logdaddy

logdaddy New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Australia
    They look nice!!! $3500 is just stoopid though - (maybe if they were signed by Paul Cezanne?)
    Its almost like we are moving into very self conscious 'designer logging' these days, its all becoming a bit high fashion isn't it.
    Is it only a matter of time before we see 'Queer Eye for the Log guy' on TV???

9. mro87

mro87 New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    logdaddy wrote:
    Good one!

10. DB

DB New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    logdaddy wrote:
    Maybe with the growth of machine made boards, especially those coming from overseas, this will be a growing trend. It's a way to differentiate the boards and make them stand out as hand made. Personally, I wouldn't pay $3500 for one because frankly, I couldn't justify spending that much money on a surfboard. If I had disposable cash, and was a good enough surfer, I probably would. I think they are sharp - I love the graphics. But I would draw a lot of attention to myself - and I don't necessarily want to do that :)

Not sure I understand this?