Duck diving expectations

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by ac95, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    I'm with the turn-turtle clan on this one. One, because I can't duck dive worth a darn regardless of equipment, and two, because I can turn and flip back on really quickly unless it's either way overhead or right in the impact zone. Heck, I even turtle my mid-lengths most of the time because it's more efficient for me.

That being said, variations on the push through/over/under techniques above work great for me in smallish or weak waves. Timing is key, as is positioning. Once you have the mechanics of it figured out, there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat.

Except duck-diving. Even as a water-polo-fit kid riding shortboards, I just couldn't do it worth a damn when the waves got semi-serious.

2. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    A few more thoughts... even though I primarily turtle when on a longboard and I'm late to the duck-diving scene having only ridden shortboards for the the last 5 years or so, it is an oddly satisfying skill when done right in more powerful surf. Sometimes it is the only way out on a big/nasty day.

3. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    bigger waves call for narrower, thinned out noses...surf better, duck dive better...trying to duckdive wide nose boards is like slow dancing with a big girl who's had too much to drink...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
  5. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    If I'm caught slightly inside an impact zone I'll do a nose turtle. Basically move up to the nose and turtle and use my weight on the nose to get it under the whitewater. It seems to keep me from losing too much ground as I ride it out. Only disadvantage is moving the board up to get in paddling position when there is a opening.

John

6. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    Well luckily or unluckily, here in Virginia Beach there are not often big waves that need be gotten through. I paddle out next to the jetty were there is a channel for a dry paddle out and hopefully ride waves at the end of the jetty or just north of the jetty if it is not breaking infront of the jetty. My goal on every wave is to ride it to the sand and walk back and do it again. Good for pacing myself. If the wave dies on me while still far from the sand I go through the break and paddle fast. If caught by a wave generally I do the push-up thing and let the wave pass between me and the board, a little bigger I sit back on the board with nose in the air a bit, hit the soup and reach up and grab the nose to keep from being flipped over. Takes some timing but after 53 years, I got that down pretty good. I cannot remember the last time I turtled but that is what I do for bigger waves. I suppose in really big waves if not wearing a leash, I would turtle and hold on for dear life, with a leash, turtle but not care so much about having to let the board go. I find if caught inside during a set, get washed in a bit wait for a lull and paddle like crazy. When I rode long boards in CA or Costa Rica, I generally rode spots with a defined channel, for an easy paddle out or waited for those long period swell lulls. When big in the pacific, maybe going to a short board is best, course I was younger then. If I were still in the pacific, I would still have some short boards and mid-lengths in my quiver.