Duck diving expectations

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by ac95, Oct 5, 2018.

1. ac95

ac95 Active Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Los Angeles,California
    I was wondering what the expectation was of longboarders(9’+) to duck dive their boards. If I try, I can do it in 2-3’ at beach breaks. Once it get bigger I can’t do it as well and opt to punch thru the waves using my momentum or just turtle over, if I’m clear of any riders. I ride traditional-style boards in the 10’ range. Just wondered what the general rule/expectation was.

2. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    I turtle or punch through the lip.

DJR and Roadmaster like this.
  3. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    You pretty much nailed it in my book

4. kroo

kroo Active Member

Nov 17, 2004
    I do it quite a bit. Just don’t expect to sink a high volume longboard as far as you would a shortboard. With thinner 2+1 type boards it’s no problem. As long as you can get the nose under you can stomp on the tail when the whitewash hits you. If it’s bigger or the waves have power and good shape then there really isn’t any reason to ride a heavy traditional longboard, just my opinion...

5. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    I seem to have more trouble trying to turtle than punching through or, if it’s big, sliding off the board, spinning it around and holding it by the tail and trying to punch thru that way.

When i try turtling in decent surf the wave always seems to catch the nose and tosses me and the board. Obviously I don’t get the nose at the proper angle, but I’m sure I’m missing something technique-wise.

6. dsquare

dsquare Active Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    When you turtle bigger waves you gotta really pull the nose down so the force of the wave pushes you down and under the wave. If the energy lifts your board its hard to hold on and you go for a ride. I've seen two longboards snap when riders were duckdiving them. Attempting to get a good dive (weight on the nose) on a reef break and having the wave hit the back of the board resulted in a clean mid- board snap. My son buckled one of mine that way. I prefer a good turtle- just hold on tight.

When I have whitewater rolling at me up to about 2 foot, I like to do something that someone on here once mentioned. I paddle into the wave and then sit down on top and let the wave hit me in the chest while the nose punches deep in the whitewater. Then I go right back to paddling. I've had friends disappear behind me as they tried to paddle through or duck dive it and I just stayed in the same place. I did see a guy go over the falls backwards while sitting on his board (short), I don't suggest that at all- I think he thought he was through.

ChyandourSlider and DJR like this.
  7. Clomics

Clomics Active Member

Nov 5, 2012
    I usually have to pull down on the nose while kicking the tail up a bit.

8. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    Getting through whitewater on big board can be tough. Above mentioned are good. Also try getting momentum up and when it’s about to hit you try pushing up like about to stand up. Like a tall plank position. Whitewater only hits your wrists and toes. Lots less for pushing ya backwards. Think I explained what I’m thinking

9. ac95

ac95 Active Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Los Angeles,California

I do this most of the time while paddling out. Do you guys do the same while larger set waves come thru and your trying to negotiate your way up and over the unbroken wave? All while dodging the chargers?

10. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    I do this too - like an exaggerated push-up, sometimes coming clear off the board (but still holding on of course) when the whitewater hits. Works pretty well most of the time.