Dominican Republic and Haiti surf trip

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by icecreamheadache, Feb 7, 2018.

1. icecreamheadache

icecreamheadache Active Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Any of yous ventured to Hispanola for surf? I’ve got a work trip to Haiti coming up in December and was fixin’ to do a wee week or two exploring surf, bachata clubs, voodoo temples, rum factories and the like around the island- both Haiti and the DR. Any advice on anything to do with either country will be much appreciated.

2. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    spent 10days in the DR but just golfed, saw no surf

3. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Active Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    Benny B from Wrightsville has been spending a ton of time in DR at FloresSurfCamp. They are on Instagram. Looks like a fun wave.

4. 306Bing

306Bing Active Member

Oct 1, 2015
    South Jersey
    I windsurfed Caberete, mast high in February and got hammered, broke a mast, stepped on a sea urchin and pulled spikes out for a week. It was awesome.

That was before development, but I think there are some good surf spots and not far from Puerto Plata airport.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  5. m8r

m8r Member

Apr 8, 2014
    NC
    You're going to score more surf in DR, than you will find in Haiti.

6. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
  7. Lycokayaker

Lycokayaker Member

Sep 21, 2017
    NJ
    was in DR last year scored waves all morning into early afternoon and then the wind hits its and kitesurfed the same waves and had a blast for 7 straight of kiting and surfing.... Check out encuentro thats where we hung out about 10-15 mins south of Cabarete

8. icecreamheadache

icecreamheadache Active Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Thanks for the info jammers! Muito obrigado

9. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    I surfed Playa Encuentro a while back. Fun wave when I was there but it did get a little crowded by late morning. Enough peaks around that you could find your spot.

Stayed in Cabarete and didn't have a car so I hitchhiked to Encuentro in the dark. A little sketchy but I survived. There was some surf camp in town I tried to get a ride with but they weren't that helpful. After surfing it was easier to find a ride back to town.