Does a glider that nose rides exist?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by aloha73, Nov 13, 2017 at 11:55 PM.

1. CosmicSlop

CosmicSlop Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I recall seeing a shape called a "glybrid" from Ryan Burch.

2. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Yep! I've had mixed successes on my 11' Hunt. Setting the trim is important and once set just getting to the nose. I've had mixed success in doing it. Gotten up there a time or two but the remainder of the time changed the trim due foot placement and buried a rail. Then again I'm far from a Ryan Burch or a CJ and over twice their age! Just getting up to my feet is a choir.

3. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    In that case, talk to Wes Holderman. I had an 11' that is pretty much spot on what you are asking about that he shaped. One of the best boards I've ever owned and I often regret the sale. You won't be disappointed.

4. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

This GP noserides. Long way to the tip (at 12 feet), but, as stated above, it's about wave position and, on a board this big, how you fin it (hint, lots of area helps). Nick Palandrani shaped this one and now shapes under his own Source label and does lots of custom work.

www.sourcesurfboards.com

12'0 GP Stood Up.jpg

Roadmaster, Surfnfish and JMJackFish like this.
  5. surfore

surfore Member

Mar 2, 2004
    USA California
    All big boards, while they may glide, aren’t gliders. For me, when Skip shaped his big boards with their parallel rails and large double concaves those defined a genre which came to be known as gliders.

In my experience gliders will noseride but they’re much harder to noseride than a long longboard. TW’s board is basically an 11’ Legacy - a long longboard. And while I’ve seen Ryan’s 14’ board and his glider models I haven’t put my hands on them so I can’t comment there. TW, RB and CJ can noseride anything. Matter of fact how about going the opposite direction...ever seen Lopez hang five on his bolts at Pipe?

My 12’er noserides and it’s EPS. Soft entry, curve in the outline, a little vee and hard rails in the tail. More versitle, more surfable, more noserideable and less fashionable.

respectthepeck and davey like this.
  6. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Active Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    That Vee Hull that source Surfboards makes sure looks interesting.

7. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA Massachusetts
    I had a 10ft Tyler Warren Salinas that felt gliderish and would noseride well...

8. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
  9. Human

Human Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
  10. Flip756

Flip756 Member

Mar 4, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    The shaper that I just ordered my newest Glider from has been tinkering with rounder noses and a little concave to make getting closer to the nose more user friendly. Pictures and ride report once I get the board.