Do I deserve warmer, better waves in Retirement?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Hosteldweller, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Sounds like you want to stay in The US for your retirement. So I won’t go into some of the Homework I have been doing on being an Expat in some other countries with very low cost of living.
    You may want to think about doing a NJ summer/ Fall and head South to Florida in the winter. Cost of living here in Florida isn’t bad. Surfing here is OK all beach break. I do miss Surfing and living in San Diego. We can no longer afford to live there unless we we’re vagabonds living out of a converted School bus. Trust me I have thought about that. But I like having roots. Put down.
    Down sizing in NJ and not going crazy on a Place in Florida could allow to still get your time in Hawaii.
    We aren’t right on the beach about a 20 minuet drive to the Ft Pierce Jetty from our home. Besides Surf there is really good fishing. Lots of other things like Golf riding Bikes and or Motorcycles. Lots to explore here in Florida. You will still need a wetsuit a 3/2 is good right now @9:30am air temp is 56 degrees Water is 70-74 degrees. Surf is sloppy mess at 2 to 3 foot. Might hit it but think I’ll get more work done on the House.

PeakMaster likes this.
  2. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Question: I realize, like many other places some beaches break better than others due to bottom conditions, jetties, etc... But as a rule, if there is a decent swell and offshore winds can you get decent waves at almost any beach in that part of FL?

3. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    H,
    I started looking at Wilmington NC as my retirement date is getting closer. I did like that it is warmer than PA, cost of home ownership is very small compared to here and the real estate taxes are low too. Close to the beach and airport so that is in the + column too. Still investigating...
    San Diego is beautiful in more ways than one. Cost of living is a negative though.
    We would like to rent for a month in Hawaii when the R day comes as a week or so is too short and it is too hard to leave that slice of heaven when I (rarely) get the chance to visit.

4. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    I’m new to this area so still learning the ropes.
    Yes there are some places that are consistent when the a swell is running lots of little parks with Beach access. A few places have a hard bottom. There are some secret spots sort of. As someone told me if there is a parking lot there is a Surf Spot.

PeakMaster likes this.
  5. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    my 2 cents are:
    for some reason we have a lot of NC expats here in CR (not sure why) and many do not surf.
    As noted you do sound like Oahu is your dream and i am a believer in trying/doing what you really want. If you go second best and it works out, you will still second guess forever and or find another location...if you do your first choice and it doesn't work you can find another location perhaps with new parameters in mind and it will likely be cheaper than Hawaii.
    prioritize your wants as others stated, time zones and travel time back to your roots, costs and all the other factors mentioned which for us includes the attitudes of your new local folks.
    if you can be happy living comfortably with less and that allows you to retire sooner...i say do it...but be pretty sure you can lay back and do that first.
    no where is perfect, it is only as perfect as you let it be...you are a big part of whether your dream works or not.

Dawnpatrol, Artz and dingdong like this.
  6. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I guess what I'm asking is you can avoid crowds and still get quality waves.

7. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    I surfed in San Diego so crowds is a relative word. If you get my drift.
    Short ancwer is yes you can find uncrowned peaks. Had a really fun session the other week. The main peak at Sabastion was packed. Went to the last trail north and walked down the beach saw a peak and paddled out lots of close outs but also some fun corners.

8. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Well said. I have friends that bailed more then 20 years ago to Costa Rica. They made it work. My friend has no regrets on his move.

9. bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04 Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    Go where you like.

I will add my .02 about Oahu. It is a beautiful place. I was lucky enough to be born and raised there and still reside there. That being said vacationing there is much different than living there. The cost of living is astronimical and buying a house in a desireable area that is not a tear down is going to cost you close to 1,000,000 easy.

Great spot to surf and great spot to live just know what you are getting into. I have met so many people who move to Hawaii stoked out of their minds and leave a few years later cause reality hits them.

Ticowannabe likes this.
  10. harry

harry Member

Dec 16, 2004
    USA New York
    Love the Wilmington NC area. On bitter cold long island now and am tired of it. I have family here I.e.kids and grandkids. That is the tough part. I have some friends who love it....a lot t think about

PeakMaster likes this.