Do I deserve warmer, better waves in Retirement?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Hosteldweller, Jan 9, 2019.

1. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    That's part of our plan,Sir.

2. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Just need to plow through the next few years and jettison that Three Point Shape. It'll all fall together, Sir.

3. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    NC seems warm but kind of not *that* warm. I just saw a video of guys down there wearing hooded suits. Water gets down to mid 50s, which isn't exactly a bath. Although, maybe it is as compared to where you're from. On the flip side, I've been watching Beach Hunters on Hulu lately and have been surprised at how "cheap" you can get a house right on the beach. I know Beach Hunters isn't exactly the authoritative source of real estate prices, and I know that flood insurance with a velocity rating would probably vaporize my bank account... but what the heck, it's fun to dream.

Good luck. Looking forward to living vicariously through whatever you decide to do.

PeakMaster likes this.
  4. HogLog

HogLog New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    LCRI
    At 50 my advice to you is to learn to kite as it triples your time on the water. And you better learn now cause you’re still going to suck this time next year.

aussie-surfer likes this.
  5. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I think you're right. My cousin moved down there from Manahawkin. Inland though. Tells me about snow a bit in Winter. Not like we see here but some.

6. Macilious

Macilious Active Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I'll toss my 2 cents of internet knowledge out there based reading the thread.

GO TO OAHU. That is obviously where you want to be. If you can make it happen, MAKE IT HAPPEN. There will be sacrifices, but life is a teeter totter. There's a chance that it isn't what you expected or it doesn't work and that's fine, you use the knowledge you gained to make another choice.

As the profit, Tom Cochrane says "life is a highway"

PeakMaster and Chilly Willy like this.
  7. Hosteldweller

Hosteldweller New Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Lots of good advice here. As for the age thing, my hard charging Jax, FL surf buddy used to say at 62 "how many 70 year old surfers do you know?" He's probably there now and know he doesn't charge too hard or surf much. As for Surfing anywhere in anything, we absolutely better appreciate it and it's a blessing. My buddy moved to Wilmington, NC and it has about as warm water and air as you'll get in NC. He does not own a snow shovel or ice melt and wears the 5/4/3 about 6 times a year, usually just 4/3. As for Kite Surfing, SUP, Shortboarding (less than 8') there's so many surfy things I could get involved in but right now I don't have much time to experiment.

PeakMaster likes this.
  8. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    This is solid advice. Rethinking the thread and reading between the lines, it looks like this is the answer. A friend of mine talked me into buying an expensive guitar by saying: "You'll never regret getting the one you really wanted." I've always thought about that since and thought it was pretty great advice. Maybe it applies here too.

9. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    I find these threads interesting, they are very subjective like many things in life. Being born and raised in New England I couldn’t or wouldn’t imagine living anywhere else. It may not be the best place for some things but it’s pretty damn good for a lot of things. I wish you the best at whatever you decide is best for you.
    Disclaimer: I am not a surfer but am somebody who enjoys surfing. :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    sonOsea likes this.
  10. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Save some of that time and deep six the shortboarding idea.