Do I deserve warmer, better waves in Retirement?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Hosteldweller, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Hosteldweller

Hosteldweller New Member

Nov 27, 2012
    As a 50 year old, year round North East Surfer, I enjoy the good and not so good times but can't do this forever. I have surfed on vacation on Oahu for 26 years and am obsessed with the place. I've also investigated some much cheaper options on the East Coast in NC and FL. At what point do I follow my heart or my head and choose a better financial decision? All options are doable just at different standards of living and of course waves. I am aware of the differences in costs of real estate, groceries, fuel etc. Thanks

PeakMaster likes this.
  2. Lackosense

Lackosense Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    "At what point do I follow my heart or my head and choose a better financial decision? All options are doable just at different standards of living and of course waves."

Always follow your heart, Do it as soon as possible. Time waits for no man, the clock will continue to tick and our time here is absolutely limited. How we spend that time and the quality of the experiences we face is entirely up to us. Make the best of the time you have. Follow your passion and prioritize your happiness.

also, really sit down and decide on an importance hierarchy. What are you are comfortable with and what are your priorities? a higher standard of living/cost of living vs. responsibilities vs. location vs. type of wave.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Mizrachi likes this.
  3. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    if you make the "smarter and more sensible choice" but aren't happy then its really not the right choice, when you're young and building your life, you can make sacrifices, but if you're towards the latter part of life, its time to start enjoying things, imo

4. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    You likely have roots in the area...just spitballlin'. Hawaii could be awesome but crowds, cost of living, the family/friends connected to those roots. NC is a great choice. Relatively short trek to FL. Hours away from family, not time zones. Great cost of living. Haven't checked real estate there lately but I think it's affordable very near the beach...not necessarily on the beach. I think it's tough to argue they don't have the best waves on the East Coast.

harry likes this.
  5. pefa

pefa Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Bi
    May be a paradigm difference for many, so hard to say if not for oneself- ......but one certainly knows when they regret that they didn't....

6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I don’t remember which thread but we had a similar discussion recently. We stayed local in retirement. Mostly because of family. Yes waves in NJ are inconsistent and lesser quality but so far we are happy and still like the seasons.

Dawnpatrol and PeakMaster like this.
  7. Hosteldweller

Hosteldweller New Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. Live in NJ and like most East Coasters, put a lot of effort into a variety of mediocre, usually cold surf. I have Oahu very wired right now, keep a board there and spend 3 weeks a year between a Family Trip and a solo Dad trip (thanks Honey). If you surf the "off Broadway" spots on the North Shore, there are plenty of places with minimal crowds for whatever reason. I tell my friends in the lineup how lucky they are to put in less effort and surf way better waves on most days. That said, I do like coming home to the 1st cold, empty, mediocre session and feel like an "explorer" or something? As for Florida, it just seems too cheap and warm to ignore as a back up plan. Wilmington NC is also an option but gets a little chilly. Nice to have options I guess and the Snowbird option seems to be the most likely? Fyi, I lived and surfed in San Diego but the cold water makes it less appealing and the wetsuit doesn't fit the Retirement Dream for some reason. I do agree that life is just too short to not do what you really want to do if possible. This stuff is my absolute favorite topic and daydream.

PeakMaster and dingdong like this.
  8. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    Whatever the conditions, weather wise or surf wise, just getting out for a surf session is a blessing on its own...of course warm water and epic surf is a plus :D

Lackosense, Mizrachi and pefa like this.
  9. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    No need to consider your next move all or nothing, you're still young enough to have more life changes ahead of you. And if you really love surfing and it's core to your happiness, keep in mind that 50 to early 60's is a really fun time to surf if you've kept yourself tuned up. As 60 gets closer to 70, however, regardless of how hard you work/worked at fitness and maintained good nutrition, skills and endurance start their slow, inevitable decline, as Father Time remains undefeated. And when that time comes, the waves and memories behind will mean more than the waves ahead.

So why not go chase some waves and create a whole lotta grins, knowing you can always change your path when it becomes apparent time to do so. And when following your heart, unexpected opportunities can arise you never would have encountered otherwise.

Dawnpatrol, 306Bing, pefa and 2 others like this.
  10. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I started a similar thread not to long ago. One solid take away from all the wonderful advice ( I cant remember who said it, or if it was specifically suggested or it was implied) was that I should also take into consideration what I like to do when I'm not surfing.
    IMO Oahu or maybe better Kauai have so much going on besides surfing that I think it would be relatively easy to stay engaged and stimulated. My biggest fear of retirement is becoming (more) jaded, bored A.F. and a p.i.t.a. to be around. My second biggest is slipping on ice and breaking my hip. fukdat

pefa, walkingtheplank and Lackosense like this.