Current Project

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by SeniorGrom, Dec 6, 2017.

1. dingpatch

dingpatch Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
  2. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Beauties. Still dig that SG lam too.

shawnzee likes this.
  3. Lackosense

Lackosense Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
  4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Holy eye candy! Even aside from the impressive handiwork, I am loving those color choices in the photo with the first 4. (And bonus points for the coastal wooden background.) Almost looks like something out of a design book.

How does that Kumano system hold up in the long run? Do you have to lubricate the bearings or anything to keep them moving? Do you have to remove the fin regularly or rinse regularly to keep the bearings from getting all boogered up with sand or anything?

5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Thanks Chilly. A few of us have been using fins with the bearings for at least 2 years with no issues. It is a molded plastic cylinder with a stainless spring and ball inside. There are specific measurements for installation. Done right, the bottom of the fin base rests on the bottom of the box, sides of the fin are fitted snug, and balls expand into the channel where the metal plate would go. I always rinse my boards off. No contamination or corrosion issues so far. Easy in the water adjustability.

6. SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Two current fins for forum members. Foiling done yesterday. Bases need to be shaped and fitted, split pin and Kumano System bearings installed, then glossed sanded and polished. 9" Velzy Classic and 9.75" G4A.

Two Fins.JPG Two Fins 2.JPG Two Fins 3.jpg

7. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    You taking custom orders? I want 10" 4a profile for hansen and waveset boxes. Hmm....hmm....

8. SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Yes I can do customs but I’m not really equipped to make fins with older bases for vintage boxes. Juan Rodriguez can but you already know that. I have a mold made to produce a Wave Set adapter to use modern fins in the vintage box. It has been working well. Pretty backed up on orders right now and trying to keep it a hobby. PM me for pics or details. Thanks.

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  9. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Stoked!!

10. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    the crowd is yelling

4a's !!