Critters Surfboards....anyone had one?

Discussion in 'Longboard Surf Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Couch, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Couch

Couch Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Santa Barbara
    Jammers,

Any experience with Critters Surfboards? Build quality? Glassing? Shape? They look pretty cool as a Simmons or alternative board.....

Couch

2. hullogfish

hullogfish Active Member

Dec 22, 2006
    USA California
    I follow those dudes on Instagram, interesting looking shapes. It is funny, as I was listening to Surf Splendor podcast with Josh Hall and he was talking about how instagram has created shapers and companies that make products that look good, but have zero cred quality wise/performance wise and how that is a business in itself. I thought of Critters immediately.

kclibman likes this.
  3. kclibman

kclibman Active Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    Add FLKLR, Canvas, etc. etc. This is how I felt about Album until I started seeing Josh Kerr on some of those asyms, but even then, that's still watching an F1 driver at Willow Springs in a coach-built car. More of an archer-than-bow kind of thing.

I fell into that trap; bought a board from an Instagram-prominent shaper here in CA, got along with him well, loved the way the board felt under arm... and then got it out on the water and found that it was too flat, bad rocker, weird nose profile - and that the glass job, done by a well-known OC shop, was just as bad. Pressures all over after two sessions, weave showing in a few spots on the nose under some black resin.

Easiest goodbye I've ever said to a surfboard. I stick to four or five established shapers now and I haven't looked back.

Human and JMJackFish like this.
  4. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Glad to see there's some here that have figured this out. I've been preaching this for damn near 10 years.
    Social media smoke and mirrors. Shiny objects placed in front of hobbyists make for bad choices. And most do not even know they've been fleeced.

Human likes this.
  5. jbb

jbb Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Heard that episode, too. Had to laugh when JH made this comment. He's leveraged social media to promote his business as effectively as anyone I know.

Poseidon likes this.
  6. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    Social media is a necessary evil. I do agree that there are many fly-by-nighters, snake oil, and smoke and mirrors, and just had a conversation with some friends about how one of the local guys has gotten huge on social media in spite of his renowned lack of symmetry on boards intended to be symmetrical.

7. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    LOL. I was going to bring that up but was wary of the backlash here. Kind of a "drawbridger" ( JH did it before this new wave and wants to pull up the drawbridge).

dingdong likes this.
  8. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    lol at "drawbridger"...guess you're never too old to add to the vocabulary

9. Couch

Couch Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Santa Barbara
    Well said one and all; it is getting hard to get true craftsman like Frye, Pavel, Hilbers, Cherry and others to shape boards as they are very much in demand and can more or less choose which projects they take on. Although certainly a lot of great shapers that pump out boards like nobody's business---Andreini, Christenson, Mitsven and others.

Couch

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  10. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    A term that is very applicable to westerners surfing around the world. Spend some time there? Pull the drawbridge to someone who comes a week after and vibe him(or her) like a loc.