Cramping calves

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Clomics, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Clomics

Clomics Active Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Anyone else experience this when surfing? I get it when duck diving for some reason.

2. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    I get a little bit now and then, product of old age and non warm up/stretch before paddling out I think

3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Maybe it's because I'm old, mostly surf longboards, and duck diving is not a possibility with boards I ride. My calves don't cramp up. Most other places on me hurt though after going over the falls trying to roll through. Stay hydrated.

4. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
  5. Clomics

Clomics Active Member

Nov 5, 2012
    SharkB8 wrote:
    I've read that somewhere. A banana before a session can't hurt. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't also hydration, tho I tend to stay on top of that.

Got caught inside at my local the other day and took a beating. Had to get to work so I took a paddle-in-of-shame right after. Got to the beach and my calves were killing me. Getting old, man. Sucks!

6. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    What SG said. If I just have a coffee before DP, I notice I cramp up after about an hour in the water. Reminds me to drink more ( not coffee) before I go out...........which leads to a totally different issue when in a wetsuit.

7. hullogfish

hullogfish Active Member

Dec 22, 2006
    USA California
    I've had major issues with this including a solo surf in big surf at PB Point, alone, and my calf cramped so bad I had to ask for a ride home from a weirdo. I think it was dehydration and the cold of the water. I now stretch my calves nightly and it seems to help. Potassium, water, stretching. Hope this helps

8. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I used to get them in bed if I stretched my legs. I now use Celtic sea salt daily, about ½ a teaspoon in water, doesn't need to all in one go you can spread it throughout the day, some in food too. I'm so used to it in my water that plain water tastes bland, I put a pinch in my water bottle if I'm out and about. Forget the myths about salt being bad for you, that's only refined salt. It has to be Celtic Sea Salt, its unrefined, moist in the bag, slightly greyish and has tiny bits of debris in it, seaweed etc. It has 82 trace minerals.

9. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

One word: Yoga. Try this and see how you feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBu-pQG6sTY

PS: As stated: WATER, as much as you want to drink and then some.

10. Clomics

Clomics Active Member

Nov 5, 2012
    FirstPointEric wrote:
    Yeah, I'm on that yoga train already. It's the source, it's changed me life.
    It is probably a hydration issue. It's so strange to me that it's always in my calves, and it's only when surfing. Bodies are crazy.