Cooperfish/Cooper Designs Hornet vs. Takayama Double Ender

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by kickout, Sep 21, 2008.

1. kickout

kickout New Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Looking for feedback from riders who can compare and contrast the boards. About to pulll the trigger on a pintail and it will be one of these two. Have ridden the Tak, but never the Hornet. Board will see action primarily in south Orange County CA and Scorpion. Any and all input appreciated.

2. Jaimo

Jaimo Active Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Both great. My experience was that the Hornet had a wider turn radius and was a faster better noserider. The tak was easier to turn, but offered predictable noseriding capabilites. I feel my hornet has better craftsmanship. My hornet is 9'8. My Tak was 9'10. Personnally if you've ridden tak's you know what to expect. The hornet provides continual room for growth. I'm still trying to hit it's potential whereas on my tak I realized the potential soon and sold it. You'll be ballin the jack at scorp or churches on a hornet man!:cool:

3. mro87

mro87 New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Can you walk/paddle with a longboard from Sano to Churches?

4. ted

ted Member

Aug 25, 2008
    USA California
    I have a 9.6 hornet but never surfed a double ender. The hornet is my all around any place anytime board. Its great at point breaks as well as beach breaks. I have 4 CF boards. When I take the hornet out, it is like an old friend, it does it all. great wave catcher, turns on a dime, and flies when you get five on the nose.
    The only negative is, a cooperfish draws tons and tons of attention, because of the incredible resin work that Gene does.

5. B.O.S.S

B.O.S.S Member

Mar 11, 2004
    USA Texas
    mro87 wrote:
    you can walk . its a long walk but doable. boss

6. gaucho

gaucho New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    USA Florida
    I had a 9'6" double ender and it was a great riding board. Versatile, it did everything well. Never surfed a Hornet, but I have a Mello Yello (CF pintail) and a Nose Devil. The weight, glide, color work and overall craftsmanship of the Coops are in an entirely different class. No comparison. I'd go Cooperfisf if possible. The double ender is a great board though, just not in the same league. That's not a slam on the Tak, very few boards are in the same league as a Cooperfish.
    I also have a Tak NR3 which I like very much.

7. sc-longboarder

sc-longboarder New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    USA South Carolina
    i have never ridden either one and i am sure they both are great boards but for as long as i have been on this board i cant remember ever hearing a negative comment on a cooperfish board

8. DownSouthSlidah

DownSouthSlidah Member

Oct 30, 2007
    The only Tak I have ridden is an ITP. That said I own two Cooperfish Hornets (10-2 and 9-4) with two Cooperdesigns Hornets soon to be ordered (one even shorter and one strictly for travel). It is my favorite shape, hands down. I am not even a good surfer and the Hornet makes me look a lot better than I am. I used to say that if I could have only one board it would be the Harbour Rapier. While I love my Rapier, my 10-2 Hornet has become my go to board. I have ridden it in everything from 2' to head+ and it never blinks.

Worth the bling for sure for a full-on Cooperfish but with the prices on Cooperdesigns now, it's easy to own a superior board - after all, it's how it rides, not what it looks like in the final analysis.

9. Drumhead Buddha

Drumhead Buddha New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    Nepal
    mro87 wrote:
    dont know that

but,

YOU can paddle from churches to old mans

its the walk back across the highway and down to the campsite in a wetsuit that s daunting to most americans

10. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Drumhead Buddha wrote:
    Always great to get such accurate info. from a jerkoff that lives somewhere in Montgomery/Delaware County PA about such things. Who woulduv knew??

Is it less "daunting" to Canadians shit-for-brains?

You are a world class maggot you little cigarette smoking, troubled fuck.

Save your stupid advice for those that ask.

Oh. BTW, how's your love life going knucklehead?

See ya real soon!

Love,PM