Chased out of the water this morning!!

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Left Coast 46, Oct 29, 2018.

1. xyzzy

xyzzy Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Encinitas, CA
    Whoah, where in Carlsbad?

BrazilButtNut likes this.
  2. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    I'll tell the story again, , , , about 10 years ago, surfing an afternoon at Swamis, a So-so day for the locals but a very good day for this Florida boy, only about 15 people in the water, I took a poll about sharks, the only person who had ever seen a shark while surfing was a nice girl, and she had seen it at Jacksonville Beach, Florida!

Dawnpatrol and BrazilButtNut like this.
  3. Left Coast 46

Left Coast 46 Active Member

Apr 30, 2015
    So Cal
    The Power Plant in Carlsbad! My local buddies were giving me shit saying it was a dolphin and that I was a pussy... until yesterday when the other guys in the water that morning were out telling their stories. I'm sure they other guys didn't tell them that they left me out there by myself to be shark bait!!

BrazilButtNut and dingdong like this.
  4. LÜGEN

LÜGEN Active Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Oceanside
    Plenty of people surfing today

5. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Active Member

We have them on our side too. Always have. The Cape is ground zero for activity but they're in RI. A friend has released juveniles out of his fish traps off Newport. My buddy's Dad and member of our local fishing club discovered this 13ft.washed up in 2012 near a break.
    img_4296.jpg

Latte likes this.
  6. BrazilButtNut

BrazilButtNut New Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Ventura, CA
    Yikes! That's scary stuff!!

7. BrazilButtNut

BrazilButtNut New Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Ventura, CA
    One of my favorite instagram accounts is @chet.williams

https://www.instagram.com/chet.williams/

He posts drone shots of juveniles all over Ventura county. Kind of scary to see, but then again, they're mostly looking for rays and leopard sharks in the under 10 ft range...

Latte likes this.
  8. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Was talking to a Guard at DoHo today when he mentioned they closed off T-Street in San Clemente because of a "shark issue" yesterday 11-2?

BrazilButtNut likes this.
  9. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    I can't believe I never knew that we had great whites off our Socal coastline here until early last year, I always surfed in ignorant bliss thinking that they were only in Northern California...lol

BrazilButtNut and hankster like this.
  10. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Vinny, we always have, but the presence of "juveniles" (under 3 meters in length) and adults have become more pronounced along our nearshore waters over recent years. Why? There's a number of reasons given for this by researchers, e.g., food availability (juveniles primarily forage on fish such as leopard sharks while adults feed on seals and sea lions), increase numbers of sharks due to protection measures, etc. Shark researchers are doing some good stuff to unravel the life history of these critters. I usually go back to the Shark Attack Files (google it) to look at historical sightings and attacks. I found one attack dating back to the 60's at Baker Beach in San Francisco that I remember vividly. Check it out and look at the data specific to SoCal.

BrazilButtNut, hankster and dingdong like this.