Cervical arthritis?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Driftwood, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Not to turn this into an old-guys-griping-about-their-ills forum, but have any of you had to deal with this? MRI yesterday revealed arthritic lesions in the upper spine (I can go and get the results to say which discs are affected) in addition to the expected pinched nerves, bulging disc. The examining doc suggested that most of the pain is actually coming from the arthritic lesions. And that it's just part of the normal aging process for me.

Of course, I will do my full PT with a very competent physiotherapist that I've worked with for years. Diet is already pretty darn good - few refined foods, low sugar, etc. Exercise regime was solid until this Spring when the neck/shoulder has had me limited.

Anyway, just throwing it out there.

2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    yep, couple C discs with arthritis and some slippage...added to the rest, if I ever stop moving, fairly sure my wife will wake up one morning to find a frozen block next to her..

those not hurting as seniors just didn't play hard enough when younger...

3. surfore

surfore Active Member

Mar 2, 2004
    USA California
    Funny, not funny, you should mention this because I was going to post something similar tonight.

C4 C5 bulges or arthritics. Deferring pain down my right arm starting at a 0 in the am to a 7 in the pm. From tingling to a numbing and burning pain. Saw a physiatrist today who recommended cortisone injections coupled with prescription anti inflammatory meds.

Anyone else?

4. Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Funny, not funny timing indeed.

C5, C6, C7 for the lesions, C3-4, C6-7 for the bulges. Crazy how painful this can be! I was thinking - okay, this is starting to clear up - right up to the point I went off anti-inflammatories yesterday.

Happy to hear any other insights.

5. 306Bing

306Bing Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    OCNJ
    Yep, it does suck, PT has helped in the past, but I'm at a point now where its just not helping so I am scheduling injections again. Had several over the past 10 years and they have worked. Just did a hip injection a couple months ago and that solved my sitting on surfboard pain. Now I have to get the paddling and stand up pain taken care of.

6. Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    306Bing, are you talking about cortizone injections or something else?

7. 306Bing

306Bing Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    OCNJ
    yes, cotizone. When you hurt so badly for so long you start to develop movement to compensate which gets you more out of whack. The shots are like 100 advils directed right at that spot to help you drop swelling and get re-aligned and PT helps after shots if it doesn't do the trick before. If your arm is burning then your talking upper spine and you need to get the shots at a surgical center in case of complications. Back of Leg burning (feels like a never ending hammie pull) due to lower spine and can be done in Dr office. I'm not a doctor, but I have had upper in and out of surgical center and lower in Dr office and this is what I have learned over the years and what I go on. And I could be completely misinformed but I'm going with it. Its the price for playing competitive sports into my early 50s. Good luck

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    DKNJ and Driftwood like this.
  8. Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Exactly the type of information that I was hoping for. Thank you kindly!

9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Not sure how related this is, but I've got a bulging and torn disc at L5/S1 -- lower back. I've had it since 1997, so over 20 years now, but it was finally diagnosed by MRI in 2016. The pain was bad enough at times to significantly interfere with my mobility. Like 306Bing said, things get way worse if you have pain on one side and start compensating by shifting your weight to the other side. The treatment that worked for me -- life changing, actually -- was radio frequency ablation (RFA). They poke a long needle into your back and cauterize the nerves. It lasts maybe a year and a half (2+ years for me), and you get your mobility back. My first treatment lasted a little over 2 years and I happily went back a few months ago for repeat treatment. If it applies to you, I would highly recommend it.

Driftwood and 306Bing like this.
  10. Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Thanks! I'll be going through the PT routine in the coming weeks/months, and then am definitely open to options. Am decidedly lop-sided at present, and I'm sure that isn't helping things at all.

I was asking my therapist about getting back in the water in the near(ish) future, and she was just shaking her head. Incredible how motivating that thought can be. Until then, one step at a time.