Can't sleep so

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Fishy, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Fishy

Fishy Active Member

Aug 22, 2014
    I'm thinking about my fin setup on my 10'6 Mitsven egg. The surf's tiny in SD right now so I'd like to try a setup that maximizes glide but still holds on and maneuvers. I'm surfing small beach break so I still need to make little bottom turns and change direction. Current setup is what it came with: super small skippy side bites (2.5"?) and a 6.5" flexy Frye center.

I have a really little 3.5" center fin I could put in there, if I can find it in all my junk, not likely before tomorrow. Or I could run it with just the center. I have a 9.5" a-flex I could run as a single. Also thought about putting a couple of short board side fins in and go twin fin.

I know somebody's going to say: try them all and let us know how it goes. Sure, makes sense, but I have this 'if it ain't broke don't fix it thing with fins so it's unlikely I'd do all three. Somebody else has probably figured this out, right?

2. pursuitofnow

pursuitofnow Member

Jun 29, 2013
    SF
    I use a 6.5 skip" volan flex fin in my 11' glider and love it no matter the size waves. Plenty of rail for hold. Mine doesn't have side bites but I'd try removing the center fin altogether and just use the side bites for what you're looking for.

3. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    I have a 10'2 FishSimmons and I normally run sidebites and a 3.5" center fin. It works great in waist to overhead surf. That said, it really doesn't work in thigh high and under. The damn thing won't change direction in the small stuff. I end up using my hands in the wave (which is fun) to change direction. I'd recommend losing the sidebites and running a 7-8" center. Or ride a noserider. :)

4. Fishy

Fishy Active Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Bird from the shed said the same thing. Just lose the side fins and run the same 6.5" center

Board is pretty maneuverable. I think you rode it once SDS. You let me try your 11' Hippy Pin that day.

5. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    Having a discussion in the lineup about a month ago... re: fish Simmons. My buddy was insistent had to be a tri. I persisted that a quad was viable. Your thoughts?

6. Fishy

Fishy Active Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Larry Mabile Twinzers have a really similar tail design and they work great. Makes sense to me...

7. Fishy

Fishy Active Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Single 6.5" flexy fin worked great in the knee high mush. Just removing the side bytes seemed to free up a lot of glide. With surf this week you need all you can get I guess.

pursuitofnow likes this.
  8. pursuitofnow

pursuitofnow Member

Jun 29, 2013
    SF
    Would be curious to hear your thoughts comparing the 6.5" fin to side bites with no center fin.

9. Fishy

Fishy Active Member

Aug 22, 2014
    I'll probably let somebody else conduct that experiment. The setup I went with today seemed to work good.

10. pursuitofnow

pursuitofnow Member

Jun 29, 2013
    SF
    Fair enough. I only mention out of curiosity. You were asking about maximizing glide and eliminating the center fin removes a lot of drag. Bob mentioned that Skip rides his glider this way sometimes and loves it. But who knows... Makes me wish I had side boxes added to my glider.