can we talk about shoulders

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Apr 6, 2018.

1. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    focus more on technique, reps and consistency than resistance

Surfnfish likes this.
  2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    x2.
    according to the PT's at the sports med clinic, daily band workouts don't give the shoulders time to recover, best to do them every 2 to 3 days. Also says heavier band resistance is actually less helpful then lighter resistance done with proper technique, higher reps.

After I had ripped my rotator clean off the bone and split it down the middle, whie waiting for my surgery date, had a local surfer tell me I didn't need a 'western medicine' repair, just needed to change my diet to all vegan and take up yoga....sigh

3. Mango Bill

Mango Bill Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2006
    USA California
    I managed a partial tear for about 8 yrs with strength training and mobilzation stretching last year have had constant pain final got x Ray that the technician circled the giant bone spur that has now impinged on bicep tendon so now no amount of exercise or stretching or massage therapy is going to get rid of the bone spur but does give me some temporary relief but pain comes right back. So with out proper diagnosis of what is causing the pain all these exercises may help or not. I know I am headed for surgery sooner than later time to dump the motocross mentality of playing through the pain and get it ground down before the ability to recover is over. Only so many miles on the frame before it can’t be put back together and continue to operate at a eficant level........no gets out alive

4. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    What resistance in lbs guys? 2-4 4-6 6-10 10-15 or 15-20? Get one or the set of resistance bands ?

5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    get the set that includes the nylon strap - it designed to be placed against the door which is then closed, anchoring it into place.

With a full set, besides doing your shoulders, you can work out the rest of your upper body as well, lotta excercises can be done with bands.

6. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Thanks again for this post. Had a great early spring surfing a lot. Good suit, great boards, fun waves and good company. I’m back on the sidelines after picking up my kid the wrong way. Going to see a PT about my foot, will review the video in the upper thread @cuda posted about self rehabbing my shoulder in addition to my foot. Resistant bands arrived last night, $18 on Amazon. As always, help full info.

7. dsquare

dsquare Active Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    I have a habit of sitting square on the board and letting the wave punch me in the chest while I balance on the board when going thru small whitewater. My feet hanging down provide some brake on the back wash and I can quickly lay back down and paddle. Maybe it's kooky but it keeps me from wrestling the board on my belly.

As an old swim coach- try keeping your arm strokes shorter, instead of reaching up straight, keep your entry at 11:00 and 1:00 or even wider. Also, monitor how deep/shallow you go, if one hurts more than the other try to avoid the one that hurts o_O. Pre-activity stretching can also be harmful, pre-activity warm-up is essential. Stretching shoulder joints leaves the joint loose and often results in inflammation. Many shoulder surgeries involve scarring tendons to tighten the joint. Get a good warm-up in and start easy. After I stopped pre-workout stretches for my swimmers I went 10 years of coaching without any swimmers getting shoulder injuries. Technique was a big part of that also.... but a good warm-up is important.

8. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    This thread is solid gold, with one of the highest karat vein being Bighouses arm circles.
    That's everyday now.
    Something else I do that works wonders during that I call Sewing Machine fingers.
    Basically push your 3 middle fingers into your upper arm and with hard pressure rapid fire them like a sewing machine into those tendons and walk it all over the muscle.
    Concentrate on areas where it hurts. Stop and iron area with palm.
    Go back to circles.
    I've found them to be much more beneficial and lasting pre surf before I get sore again.
    Often an entire session without a twinge.
    YMMV

Bighouse and dsquare like this.
  9. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Didn't want to chime in on this because shoulder pain is often multifactorial and one person's issue may be quite different than someone else's pain generator. Cuff degeneration and partial thickness tears are common in patients over 50, whether or not they're symptomatic.
    Anyhow, I just wanted to point out that what dsquare said above is true and very important. Stretching muscles that haven't been warmed up is at best not helpful, and at worst a setup for injury. Better to skip the stretch and just warm the shoulders up, and then do gentle stretches after surfing. If you watch professional athletes before a match, tennis for example, they'll do extensive warmups before any form of stretching.

10. DKNJ

DKNJ Active Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Ocean, NJ
    Cuda,
    I'm definitely in the same boat. While I swam in college, I had 7 shoulder subluxations. (half dislocation & shoves itself back in again) & refused to have surgery. Now I'm 51 & still trying to maintain my surfing & swimming. Best thing I found was 5lb weights & surgical tubing. There's a ton info on different exercises & if you want I can send to you. Surgery is always a last result & I've been able to hold off for 30+ years.
    Best of luck