can we talk about shoulders

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Apr 6, 2018.

1. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    focus more on technique, reps and consistency than resistance

Surfnfish likes this.
  2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    x2.
    according to the PT's at the sports med clinic, daily band workouts don't give the shoulders time to recover, best to do them every 2 to 3 days. Also says heavier band resistance is actually less helpful then lighter resistance done with proper technique, higher reps.

After I had ripped my rotator clean off the bone and split it down the middle, whie waiting for my surgery date, had a local surfer tell me I didn't need a 'western medicine' repair, just needed to change my diet to all vegan and take up yoga....sigh

3. Mango Bill

Mango Bill Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2006
    USA California
    I managed a partial tear for about 8 yrs with strength training and mobilzation stretching last year have had constant pain final got x Ray that the technician circled the giant bone spur that has now impinged on bicep tendon so now no amount of exercise or stretching or massage therapy is going to get rid of the bone spur but does give me some temporary relief but pain comes right back. So with out proper diagnosis of what is causing the pain all these exercises may help or not. I know I am headed for surgery sooner than later time to dump the motocross mentality of playing through the pain and get it ground down before the ability to recover is over. Only so many miles on the frame before it can’t be put back together and continue to operate at a eficant level........no gets out alive

4. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    What resistance in lbs guys? 2-4 4-6 6-10 10-15 or 15-20? Get one or the set of resistance bands ?

5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    get the set that includes the nylon strap - it designed to be placed against the door which is then closed, anchoring it into place.

With a full set, besides doing your shoulders, you can work out the rest of your upper body as well, lotta excercises can be done with bands.