can we talk about shoulders

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Apr 6, 2018.

1. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Anyone else here dealing with chronic shoulder issues? It seems like every winter toward the end of the season I find myself nursing tendonitis. AC stuff and or mild RC tears. Duck diving bigger boards in thicker wetsuits along with aging and sports injuries from days long gone by seem to be my nemesis. ( no idea if nemesis has a plural)
    Usually, I get issues in one or the other shoulder now i've seemed to have aggravated both. Its now fuqking up paddling, duckdiving and popup timing ( pretty much 70% of the game)
    Rest helps acupuncture helps but, the right one is really bugging me. This is the 1st time I've seriously considered surgery but hoping I can get past it without.

So unless you area PT I'd mainly like to here from the 50 years plus crowd. How are you dealing with this sort of stuff? Have you gone the surgical route? If not and have reoccurring issues how are you dealing?

Any other advice? short of moving to a location with warmer winter water which is off the table until I get my kid through college.

thanks in advance
    cuda

balance_fit and DKNJ like this.
  2. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Not a PT and only 35, still going to respond. I'm starting to get chronic shoulder pain from carrying my toddlers over the past few years, specifically last summer. On bad days, it hurt enough when I slept to keep me awake and I have to take anti inflammation med. after surfing or feel the pain for days on end. I took it easy this winter, tried to avoid use and am feeling a lot better with signs of the pain being over after 8 months. I'm not old, but feel I instantly aged when I stopped my physical job and went full time at a desk (also the kids didn't help). The below exercise (palm up or palm down, one up one down looking at the up facing palm) as often as possible, I believe, is what helped with the recovery.

upload_2018-4-6_10-19-5.png

Makawaosurfer93 likes this.
  3. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Got ya covered cuda.

Is there a plural for nemesis?
    Nemeses is the only way to make the noun nemesis plural. ... This is because its plural form derives from Greek.

4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Now 68, surfing non-stop since 12, easily put in 200+ days a year from early 20's to 50 (living in Half Moon Bay, a surf epicenter) much of it at Ocean Beach in SF, which has the most brutal paddles imaginable. 50 to 70 days a year from 50 on, finally had to deal with a shoulder last year at age 67.

initial symptoms started in my early 60's as a sore right shoulder after surfing, increased pain when reaching over my head. Progressively got worse, range of motion on overhead movement self limiting, too painful to do my 100 daily pushups, no more bench press.. didn't prevent me from surfing, just needed to ice pak up after. Wife is a sports med nurse who used to manage the 49er team surgeon's practice, daughter a PT, both called AC joint and rotator cuff issues on it.

Finally saw a shoulder doc 2 years ago, had an MRI, diagnosis a partial rotator cuff tear, bone spurs causing AC joint impingement. Decided to treat the shoulder with PT and keep going until I couldn't.

December of 2016, well OH day, set broke in front of me, had someone on my bumper so couldn't throw the board and dive, tried to duck dive the wave and hold onto the board, it recoiled upwards with still holding on..snap..

Full tear off the bone, split down the middle of the supraspinatus tendon, partial tear of another, off to surgery. Tendons reattached, bone spurs removed, AC joint decompressed (cleaned out), due to age told one full year to recover. Have had hip replacement, a ripped off pec repair (snowboarding jump), two knee procedures, all cake compared to rotator cuff rehab. It frankly sucks.

lessons learned - paddle enough, long enough, you will have shoulder issues. So best thing to do is get on a rotator cuff strengthening program as early as possible, plenty of Thera band shoulder workouts on the internet from sports med PT's for same, as well as range of motion excercises. And while you're at it, cease and desist from any OH lifting in the gym, worse possible thing for your shoulders, and if you're a fan of push-ups as I was since a kid, back off..

Lastly, if you surf waves that require punching through inside whitewater, that motion of trying to control board as you scoop the nose under, and holding on as it rebounds upwards, is much harder on the shoulders then paddling is. So if you're dealing with shoulder issues, ride boards with a more streamlined and foiled nose that requires less effort to punch through with.

cheers

5. GOIABA

GOIABA Member

Oct 8, 2016
    and if you're a fan of push-ups as I was since a kid, back off..

cheers[/QUOTE]

Interested to hear more thoughts about this. I'm young and been doing mostly calisthenic work directed at surfing and push-ups on a balance board are one of my go to. See a lot of people here have differing opinions and the way I see them as a strengthening method for a lot of the muscles used during surfing. I definitely feel stronger paddling, and don't have as much popping/creaking since I started doing them regularly. I could definitely see how longevity might be affected over a lifetime just because of additional stress but to me it feels like having a push up regimen strengthens your shoulders to the point you're less vulnerable to large trauma. No sort of backing though, just feelings

6. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    all of the above is good info, and if you can find a massage therapist that knows their stuff and can do deep tissue to break up adhesions etc then do it. Was lucky enough to find a few and one who worked on the Lakers roster. Firm believer it has been the one thing that has kept me from the knife on my shoulders. Have pro athlete friends who have extended their great carriers with this therapy on hamstrings, shoulders etc. and if it doesn't hurt like hell and make you want to jump off the table then they are not getting to the problem. jmho

Makawaosurfer93 likes this.
  7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Interested to hear more thoughts about this. I'm young and been doing mostly calisthenic work directed at surfing and push-ups on a balance board are one of my go to. See a lot of people here have differing opinions and the way I see them as a strengthening method for a lot of the muscles used during surfing. I definitely feel stronger paddling, and don't have as much popping/creaking since I started doing them regularly. I could definitely see how longevity might be affected over a lifetime just because of additional stress but to me it feels like having a push up regimen strengthens your shoulders to the point you're less vulnerable to large trauma. No sort of backing though, just feelings[/QUOTE]

To clarify, pushups only a problem when dealing with a shoulder issue, as their stress begins to damage more then strengthen. If I'm younger with no shoulder issues, I'd still be whacking out those 100 pushups daily..and per my PT who is a workout addict, best to keep those palms at shoulder width, no wider.

8. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    bighouse thanks- tried a few of those rotations today. I can also relate to taking on a less physical job. with regard to shoulder issues there is a lot out there that suggest posture, in particular the sitting a desk messes with upper body mechanics.

Surfnfish - you're a beast brother! - thanks for sharing. The tenon being torn off the bone sound freakin gnarly. I'm trying to avoid the scope option in any way possible. I had both shoulders reconstructed in my late teens. the oldschool way - knife and pins - bounced back pretty fast then but do recall a serious of regimen of Percocet to deal with the first week or 2. A year of recovery just doesnt sound all that fun. I'm definitely done with the military presses I think that this round of problems began when I was added pull-ups back in to the routine. I do a lot of core and band based and body weight training - I mainly want to get back to the pool. Ive always felt that this was the best conditioning for my body. In the summer when it's flat here I do a good amount of flat water (prone) paddling.

Tico - how's it friend? Im definitely going to get some deep tissue work- The acupuncturist I go to has a lot of body work skills so Im planning doubling down and ramping up the weekly sessions. I'm mainly in the hunt for a PT who can help me moderate. This aging thing is a biotch i'm constantly finding myself expecting to be able to do keep up with a younger version of myself and it ends up being a 2 steps forward 1 step back kind of thing. What's really weird is when I hit 50 I'm like whoa I feel pretty good. 50 is the new 40 then rolled up to 55 and and things stared to feel a bit creaky but still like "I got this." now Im a few months from entering my 60th lap and suddenly feeling like "this is going to take some work" As OT says "old age is not for pussies"

balance_fit likes this.
  9. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    That age progression you mention likely sounds familiar to those of us who have passed those milestones, I know it does to me. Hard to fully grasp unless you've been there, i know i didnt.

ThinTheHerd likes this.
  10. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    At only 45 years old and not a PT, I apologize for ignoring the thread parameters, but I do have some valuable insight that doesn't involve the word yoga.

Body Awareness- this pertains definitely to posture sitting And standing as well as when you're paddling.
    I've been noticing shoulder and lower back pain becoming much more prominent during the winter season and particularly after a stint of long boarding.
    Our thick suits do restrict motion and that often leads us to just putting and using our arms in the water to paddle. That puts all the motion strain directly on your shoulders where it really shouldn't be.
    Combine that with your reach being slightly more flared out on 23" wide boards and you've got a tendon killer.
    I found that just being more mindful and "actively paddling" -cocking my wrist a bit and cupping my hand slightly, arching my back a tiny bit more and driving the motion through my chest and core really helps. More of a non wriggling swim than a standard flat prone paddle. It sounds rigorous but really it's only some mild adjustments and it helps out.
    Huge difference for me the past couple winters.
    If you find yourself chair bound, get a good round cushion for the middle of the back of it and sit up and back at your desk etc, with your chair pulled in instead of out and leaning over. I rigged a meditation cushion set up like this for my old man on the back of his chair, and between that and Tumeric it's the 2 times in life he's thanked me the most.
    Hope this helped.
    Going back out.
    Happy Saturday....

balance_fit, michael and Tenfooter like this.