'Buttjuice' Surfboards... Scott Anderson/Rolf Aurness

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Planktom, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Just picked up an Anderson-shaped modern stinger rounded pintail (on left, below):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmLdfblH1J8/?taken-by=plank.tom

It's a 7'9", very flat with a single slot shaped into a slight roll - double concave - spiral vee bottom and surfs well.

Anyone know much info about them and whether Rolf still works with any shapers, inc. Scott?

Info is scant on the WWW, unless I'm being dim.

PeakMaster likes this.
  2. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    I did message Scott, but no reply... guessing he's a busy man though!

3. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    This one dropped onto the second page... guessing it's drawn a blank? Ho hum...

4. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Butt Juice surfboards are truly underground. I've heard nothing about that for many years.Rolf and his "brand", an enigma wrapped in an enigma.
    I was out in the water with him in the early 90s (?) at the Ranch. Pretty solid surfer. Watch "Sea of Joy" for that great footage at Johanna.

5. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Thanks Vet

Enigma seems the most appropriate word to describe him for sure. Great that you saw him in the sea, he has/had a timeless style... One would hope that he's still getting in somewhere and getting a few. He seems to 'out-Curren' Curren by some way in the antihero stakes..

If he had a major hand in putting together the board I have, then he also has a knack for surfboard design - it looks strange, but surfs really well. I'll be treating it to a light resto job soon to keep it going I think.

6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    “The Gift” by Marc Andreini has a short documentation of the rapid rise and fall of the talented World Champ Rolf Aurness.

PeakMaster likes this.
  7. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Did he 'fall' or did he just step off? Bit of a rhetorical Q, but you know what I mean..

Need to get that book!

8. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Marc didn’t seem to be be a close friend but made reference to drugs taking him down.

9. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Drugs .... Mental Illness. What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Planktom and PeakMaster like this.