Broken Ribs suck!

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by jory, Oct 8, 2017.

1. sonOsea

sonOsea Active Member

Apr 6, 2010
    USA
    Was in a very bad racing crash on 8/13/2010. Woke up a day later in an ICU trauma center. Severe concussion, broken right femur,anterior dislocation of the right hip,four lower left side ribs broken and separated, back and neck subluxations and many little scrapes and contusions.

Went surfing on 9/29/2010...

My ribs still stick out further than normal and cause some pain when I surf more than five or six days in a row, but nothing I can't manage with a few advil if need be.
    I believe my quick recovery was due to eating "real food", A great physical therapy team, yoga, meditation and the complete love and support of my family to get back in the water ASAP!

What I'm saying is, you may be in the water before you know it!

Regardless, I wish you the best in your recovery.

2. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the messages everyone. My fractures are around the back rather than the front which makes me hopeful for paddling.

Pain meds are keeping it at bay pretty well in the day, sleeping is difficult though.

Looks like I'll be OK to do some gentle indoor bike sessions fairly soon which will be better than nothing for some exercise endorphins. Hoping that being generally fairly fit and strong is going to speed things up. Its the first proper injury ive ever had which isn't bad at 43 considering a youth of skating/snowboarding pretty hard. We all have to pay the piper sometime I guess and I've definitely got away with things lightly a few times in the past!

I'm bored easily and pretty impatient generally but I know I've just got to take some time as it will be better in the long run. Least I'm not on crutches or needing anything reconstructing.

The most annoying thing is I only went riding to act as tour guide for a friend of a friend. Surf was lovely yesterday and I'd borrowed a rad little asymmetric mini Simmons to try out too. Often the way these things go I guess!

Cheers for the positive vibes!

3. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    6-8 weeks
    but the most important message is to get rid of opiods as soon as you can
    i

Basenji703 likes this.
  4. Basenji703

Basenji703 Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    He's a doc, he knows stuff. My experience was about 5 weeks to feel better. I dove off my board to avoid someone who was kooking around on the inside. The board caught me in the side...no good deed goes unpunished....

PeakMaster likes this.
  5. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Quick update......

Reckon ive got away fairly lightly pain wise - started cutting the painkillers down after a few days and was really only on ibuprofen at night after 10 days. Managed to ride a road bike around after 2 weeks and been cruising around on a skateboard as well.

First surf yesterday ( a month in) Small logging waves for 40 mins. Definitely felt sore paddling after half an hour and a little sore today but not too bad. Think I need another week or two before riding anything bigger or trying a shortboard again. Luckily the forecast looks crap here for the next 5 days at least!

sonOsea likes this.
  6. sonOsea

sonOsea Active Member

Apr 6, 2010
    USA
    That's great news man! Glad you'er back in the water!

7. Hye Tyde

Hye Tyde Member

May 7, 2006
    USA Massachusetts
    Best advice yet - I busted 3 ribs surfing a little over a year ago. Riding at a NH point break I fell beck off my board and landed on a submerged rock. The pain was unlike anything I had ever experienced in my entire life. They were major breaks, I was in shock for a good 40 minutes (see photo). The real fun was getting out of my 6mm wetsuit.
    [​IMG]
    That's where I paid down some of the bad karma I've released over the years, and picked up some enlightenment along the way. Every shot of pain that ripped through me was an opportunity to reflect on what an a-hole I've been over the years. Anyway I digress -

The pain killers they gave me at the hospital were frighteningly effective, teaching me first hand about the potential dangers of opiods.

Jory - glad you're feeling better - it took me 8 weeks to get back surfing. To this day I can feel the dent in my back, a constant reminder of my clumsiness, and the need to keep my karma clean.

8. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I still have a pretty impressive lump over that side of my ribs!

Surfed again on Monday. Little bigger, more paddling, little deflating. Still pretty painful and only managed a couple of waves. Think theres still muscle damage in that area that doesn't cope with paddling much. Still, I'm back on my road bike, been cruising around on a skateboard a little and back into my pilates classes which should help!

I've definitely confirmed I'm bad at being patient!

9. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Been through a couple rounds of this, good news is pain is the limiting factor, you probably aren't going to make things worse with activity. Less pain meds allows you to self limit activity to let you make progress without re-injury. Too many meds mask body feedback. Mind vs body plays into rehab in a big way. Glad you are working through. Oh yea, don't sneeze.

10. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Thanks for the updates. Very positive. Breathe, stretch, endeavor to end prescription pain meds.