Broken Ribs suck!

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by jory, Oct 8, 2017.

1. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    big over the bars on my mtb yesterday and it appears I've collected two broken ribs to add to my life experience!

It's not the most fun I've ever had even with some pretty heavy duty painkillers!

Anyone have any experience of how long they were out of the water for with something like this? I'm very bad at sitting still and desperately hoping it's less than the 6 weeks I suspect it could be!

2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Three years ago on a dismount the rail of my board slammed me hard in the ribs. At the base of my sternum a rib popped out of the cartilage. I was sure it was broken but after getting to the beach it popped back in place. Popped out once more getting out of my wetsuit but never again. Dr buddy I was surfing with checked it on the beach and I went in for an xray. No break. Was told to take it easy for awhile. Some thickness in that area when healing and even to this day. Paddling after 3 weeks didn’t work. Much more comfortable after 6.

3. hullogfish

hullogfish Member

Dec 22, 2006
    USA California
    I cracked a rib two years ago and was out of the water for a couple months, then eased back in by building a little pad out of old neoprene to go over the area. Salon pas patches helped numb it a bit too. Mine was toward the top, and more toward center( fell playing hockey) so I was able to sort of arch my back a little more to take weight off of the area. I wish I had concentrated during my downtime to losing a few pounds and gaining arms strength to compensate for the time out of the water.

4. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Member

Yup ribs do suck! In 2005 I had a head on collision on my dirtbike in the woods. A simply sneeze or cough was brutal for weeks.
    I can't sit still either, but all I can say is don't rush back too soon. I made that mistake by going back to play hockey too soon and set my healing back weeks. In fact, I've never been the same since on my left side.

5. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I got paired up for "boxing week" at the NJSP Academy with a guy two bunks down from me. He was some sort of martial arts guy. I took a solid gut shot from him...cracked at least one .PT was tough for the remainder until graduation. It sucked but it healed pretty quickly.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  6. Planktom

Planktom Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Damn... sucks CP.

Hurts like hell to cough or even breath deeply for a few weeks then kinda plateaus off and you'll then wonder whether it will ever feel normal.

At that point, go see Phil at Hand On

7. Planktom

Planktom Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    ...it will get better though!

8. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but, depending on the severity of the break, probably 6-8 weeks. You won't sleep well without meds unless you can learn to sleep flat on your back (and I highly suggest you do). I had to deal with that crap 20 years back and it's pretty terrible. Hell, with rib injuries--even just bruised ribs--merely breathing is painful. Sorry to hear about it Jory; hope your recovery is quick.

9. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    have had 2 serious ones, both involving shallow reefs = several weeks of misery, few months of slowly subsiding pain, and tenderness that can stretch into years. The ones along the upper sternum to lower frontal rib cage the worst for us paddlers, especially if torn cartilage is involved..for those, a gel pad will become your friend.
    [​IMG]

10. neighbor

neighbor Member

Feb 24, 2004
    Broke two cracked four. If you feel a sneeze or sneezing bout coming on suck on a cube of ice. Kills sneezing almost immediately. A surf mat will be a good reentry into surfing ‘cause its soft.