Boogie boards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by sonOsea, Oct 20, 2015.

1. sonOsea

sonOsea Active Member

Apr 6, 2010
    USA
    On summer vacation to Chicago my 10 year old grandson was turned on to boogie boarding by his cousin. He's since been renting a board now and then when the planets align just right and his mom or dad have time off from work to indulge him. I'm thinking of hooking him up with the proper gear for a Christmas present. I might very well be looking for one myself so we can boogie together.

Questions.... Where and what kind of equipment should I be looking for for a 10 year old who is still building his swimming skills and is just finding his way in shore break. surf shops around here north of SF don't cater to boogie boards much.

Something else he's been asking me about is Movies. He's inquisitive about my surfing and has sat through a few of my classic surf movie nights but he's asked me if I have any boogie board movies. I don't.
    Any suggestions on a flick that would keep a young kid stoked on the subject?

2. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
  3. waveslider

waveslider Member

Jun 3, 2005
    USA California
    Cant help you with the boards as I havent bought a new one in 20+ years but find a copy of this bad boy and let him get his 80's stoke on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjrnhkBHZvw

4. Jonesy17

Jonesy17 Member

Jun 19, 2006
    I haven't been body boarding in decades but when I did, Mike Stewart and Jack "The Ripper" Lindholm were the two I watched VHS tapes of.
    YouTube search those two I'm sure there is plenty of old footage.

This link supposedly gives you the best body board videos of all time.http://www.surfertoday.com/bodyboarding/5731-the-best-bodyboarding-movies-of-all-time

I don't know what is considered a good body board these days, but my guess would be something that is size appropriate so he can carry it himself and hold it up to jump over shore break and such. Don't know if your grandson is there yet, but when he is, swim fins make such a difference. So much easier to get into waves and up that wave count, which equals more fun.

5. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
    That cork board looks sweet, Tico. Might be a bit pricey for a 10-year-old.

My only suggestion is to make sure you don't get a cheap board with a styrofoam core. They don't ride well and they tend to snap. For a beginner, you can never go wrong with a $40 Morey Boogie from Costco.

BZ and Custom X both make great boards. I've got two Custom X's that cost more than $150 each. But both brands have an entry-level line between $50 and $75 that is really solid for a grom.

6. Ticowannabe

Apr 25, 2012
    yes j17,and fins are so transitory at this age, he'll likely go thru a few pairs before he's done growing, but some that are comfortable may be more important than his first board to keeping him into the sport

then we agree El b...
    i think maybe the morey cruiser might be a good starter board as well at around $70 delivered to you if nothing is close

7. OrangeDog

OrangeDog Guest

wave skaters are pretty okay and cheap

8. Ticowannabe

Apr 25, 2012
    OD, did you get your bodypo?

9. OrangeDog

OrangeDog Guest

i did. havent had the time to ride it yet

10. Ticowannabe