Board Bag Recommendation

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Cbb1, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Cbb1

Cbb1 New Member

Oct 22, 2016
    What board bag do you guys use to bring a single 9'6" board with glassed on fin for air travel. I appreciate your thoughts.

2. Silk123

Silk123 Active Member

Feb 11, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    you are probably already aware, but a lot of airlines require a removable fin. thought i'd mention it.

you might be able to get away with using a coffin bag and 'encasing' the glass on using a block of foam or something similar.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Maybe Jim will chime in, from what I have seen and heard, his packing is great. I shaped a 9'6" balsa for my brother with a glass-on. Foam blocks on either side, pipe insulation on the leading/trailing edges, bubble pack and cardboard inside an oversized coffin bag.... it still got to San Diego with chips on the leading edge and stress cracks along the base. Roper fixed it up very cleanly, but I paid 200 bucks for the privilege of having that one transported and damaged.

4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    prior to fin boxes, had more boards show up in baggage pick up with cracked fin bases then weren't..why not pick up a suitable used board with fin box..save the $ on protective packing that you'll have to reiterate on your return, avoid a hassle with ticket agents, and not be emotionally invested in whatever happens to the board..

Driftwood likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    That is sage advice.

6. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Cbb1, there isn't a bag or pack job that is going to ensure that glassed on will be attached once you reach your surf destination. Go boxed fin to ensure a fun surf adventure. Ya don't need the hassle of trying to glass a fin back on your board!

7. Cbb1

Cbb1 New Member

Oct 22, 2016
    I guess I should have been more specific. I'm not going on a surf trip, just have a nice board with a glass on fin I wanted to bring from CA to my place back east. I've been fortunate with baggage handlers and previously traveled well with fin removed from fin box and board in regular travel bag. I just have no experience bringing along a board with glassed on fin. After reading posts above, it sounds like an experience to avoid.

8. takedown

takedown Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    I just had a board shipped via Amtrak, $85 FL to OR. The box had no damage besides dirt. Might be an option for you.