Black Rose MFG

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by hangheels, Feb 8, 2017.

1. hangheels

hangheels Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Ocean View, DE
    Anybody have any experience with any of the Black Rose Mfg boards? I know Ricky Carroll is shaping them with input from Justin Quintal.

2. Basenji703

Basenji703 Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The people I know that have them, like them. They are more expensive than the run of the mill Ricky Carroll JQ boards. I have a JQ noserider and a JQ pig that are regular Ricky Carroll boards. I like mine. I'm not sure what the differences are, the rails may be a little more pinched on the BR and the stringers and such are fancier.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  3. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA Massachusetts
    I've seen a few at a local shop up here. They look really nice. Very classy and understated and I'm sure they surf great, but have not tried one. Actually I have only heard good things about RC shapes, but again have yet to surf one.

4. UncleKevin

UncleKevin Member

Mar 4, 2016
    USA Florida
    Outside of branding and resin tint choices, not too sure what the difference is between those and the RC JQ boards. I've owned 2 RC JQ's and they're great. Effortless nose riding and paddles well.

I have 3 friends that picked up Black Roses and they love them. The deviated septum seems to be the favorite. Can't go wrong with boards out of Ricky's factory.

5. LogFather

LogFather Member

Jul 20, 2015
    USA
    Branding is sick, ricky shapes a mean nose rider, and JQ knows what he's doing. I've ridden a bunch of Ricky's JQ NRs and loved them so should be a good sled.

6. furia

furia New Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Tybee Island, GA
    I've been riding a Black Rose Hard Carbon for almost a year. I have been having a blast in everything from knee high mush to head high clean lined up surf. Justin did excellent work with this shape. Needless to say Ricky and crew are outstanding craftsmen.

Attached Files:

hangheels likes this.
  7. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Active Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    My buddy Dave who runs Freedom Surf Shop in Va Beach says he can't keep them in stock - they are his best sellers. He keeps telling me they are a blast. Their fish model is interesting also.

8. McQuad

McQuad Active Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Fernandina beach
    There's a local shop here in north fl that has a couple he wants to move out at a good price. I want to say $975 new but I'll have to ask. If there's interest I'll snap some pics and check on prices.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  9. Basenji703

Basenji703 Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    That's an amazing price!!!

10. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    Ya really. Wonder if someone northern bought one if they would bring it with the next shipment... they run up the coast once a month. If they had something like what basenji has it be a amazing deal