Big Wednesday, the movie

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, Aug 17, 2018.

1. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Watched this today while on a flight, while it is a movie/drama it hits me hard on some generational southern California themes. Wow, the 60's/early 70's was a wild time, for some devastating, people today don't relate but it was a time of turmoil and rebellion and a shit war, worse than now. Also some of my favorite long boarding scenes. Just wondered if this has any resonance for anyone else?

zippy likes this.
  2. davey

davey Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    I watched it the other day and it was corny but strangely satisfying. I don't remember wearing board shorts up around my nipples like Gary Busey is in the movie though. Watched Bear glassing the board on the pier and it was pretty spot on.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    "corny but strangely satisfying"

Well put. I've watched this film periodically since I was 13 or 14. Definitely resonates in a lot of ways... it seems to hit the right nostalgia/comraderie/stoke buttons for me. And some great longboarding indeed.

4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    My wife and I watched it last weekend. First time in awhile. I warned her in advance that it was kind of corny but iconic so she wouldn’t get bored. Other than the too long fight/party scene, it was very fun to watch. She really enjoyed it. Being from the East Coast the whole cultural thing is a little harder to relate to. Of course we all wanted to live that life and tried but were kooks back East living though the time in our own way. Good stuff!

PeakMaster likes this.
  5. Surfertom

Surfertom Active Member

When they were making Big Wednesday (1978), Reb Brown (The Enforcer in the movie) appeared for a while riding a longboard at Marine Avenue in Manhattan Beach. T-h-i-s was when not so many of us were riding longboards at all. I had a Rick Swallowtail 7'2" at the time. Reb had landed the gig, but didn't know how to surf so he was there, on his own, with this giant longboard (giant to those of us who had moved into shortboards). Reb was a total kook, but a HULK of a dude out there and pleasant enough that nobody gave him anything, but "Why?" looks :). It was several weeks before I talked to him and heard why he was doing this, so he could pull off the part.

ST

Ticowannabe likes this.
  6. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Here's a pic of GG (George Greenough) at The Ranch during filming....... taken by a friend who lived there. She told me, "we were at Cojo with all the extras on the beach and a little swell was running, I put my tripod and big lens up to capture some of the action. John (Millius) saw me and grew concerned, but George intercepted him and told him "she's nobody" and he backed off."

"Good ole George" GEORGE.GREENOUGH.FILMING.BIG.WED..jpg .

Ticowannabe and nedsurf like this.
  7. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    Great stories!

One of my all time favorite movies, seen it a million times.. it's corny but what can you expect??

I really like the overall picture of people's lives lived together while surfing... you know there's a time when they all grew apart but then surfing brought them back together... classic

8. dingpatch

dingpatch Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    Ya, "corny" to a point. Especially for us East Coasters. But, met a California guy some years back who told me that the military induction center scenes were almost spot on; total chaos.

9. Basenji703

Basenji703 Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I grew up on the East Coast, but it resonated with me also. I started in '66 in New Jersey and there were many similarities with the Californina Surf scene, at least in Monmouth County.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  10. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

Saw it in a theater when I was 13 on the then-biggest screen in Westwood. I was smitten with longboarding right then and there. While I have boards as short as 6’6”, I’ve always been a longboarder and part of that was BW. It didn’t seem corny to me at the time but obviously I was young and didn’t know much. It all looked pretty real to me and I still remember hearing about older brothers of friends of mine getting drafted so those parts seemed *really real*.

I wasn’t surfing yet but was riding a first gen Boogie. But it wasn’t much longer before surfing ruined my life. ;). I distinctly remember hearing about the Ranch after seeing BW and still, forty years later, want to go. One day, maybe.

“He ain’t no hodad, squidlips!”

AF98FAC7-9F6C-4A10-858F-AD6653FC82B2.png

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018