Best wall racks... suggestions please.

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by hangeleven, Jan 7, 2018.

1. hangeleven

hangeleven Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Hi, Jammers: Need suggestions for the best wall racks for heavy-ish longboard logs w/ glassed on fins. Setting up something in my office for two or three boards on a semi-rotating basis (display and easily taking them down to surf).

I plan on bolting these through the drywall into the wall studs. Also scouring craigslist for a deal on good used racks.

Mahalo for your suggestions!

2. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Standard shelf brackets that fit into the slots in the rails that you screw into the studs. Cut a slot in pvc pipe wide enough to accommodate the brackets and then put pipe insulation over the pvc. Easy to adjust, holds 60 lbs per bracket.

upload_2018-1-7_22-33-35.png

hangeleven and OCSURFER32 like this.
  3. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    2- 2×4×8s
    1.5" schedule 40 pvc
    Foam pipe insulation
    Cable ties

spade bit drill bit
    construction adhesive rps20160505_084153.jpg
    $40

hangeleven likes this.
  4. zippy

zippy Member

Mar 24, 2008
    USA New Jersey
    IMG_0092.jpeg Built my own but standard shelf brackets would have been so much easier!

hangeleven, Tenfooter and PeakMaster like this.
  5. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    I ll do whar pekmaster did, but stronger. Instead of PVC, copper, and get a 4x4 instead of 2x4.
    If you have a couple of heavy logs, those pvc pipes, will NOT hold a couple of coops. Try the 1/2 inch copper pipes. Same model, but replace PVC with copper,
    and instead of using the same spade bit, use one a little smaller than the size o the pipe, and hammer the pipes, so thef fit tight.
    I ll try to post a couple pic later of some racks I did that way. I used old wood from a barn, so is much heavier, but they hold those 10 ft Hobbies from the 60's.

hangeleven likes this.
  6. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    you have a pattern to ding your boards!!!
    both in mid section , right rail.

hangeleven likes this.
  7. hangeleven

hangeleven Member

Mar 26, 2006
    WORD! I had four logs crashing down, falling dominoes style - PVC snapped. I wasn't home at the time, but found carnage after the fact.

8. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    I like the t-rax stuff. Don't know how the horizontal stuff works with heavier boards though. https://www.t-raxsurf.com/
    Padded aluminum arms with steel plate to bolt to wall. Use them for vertical storage.

Horizontal storage I use the steel tracks bolted to the wall and longest arms they make. Its called twin track at home depot, but make sure it is beefy. Pipe insulation on rails. Don't slide boards back and forth as the arms can twist.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-72-in-White-Shelving-Upright-FG4B9200WHT/100132482
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-18-1-2-in-White-Twin-Track-Bracket-FG4C0702WHT/202312323
    edit: I think this is what pintail uses too.

For fancy display, these are nice https://www.t-raxsurf.com/surfboard-display-rack/

hangeleven likes this.
  9. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Copper is too expensive. Use steel electrical conduit. Stronger and cheaper than copper.

hangeleven likes this.
  10. 306Bing

306Bing Active Member

Oct 1, 2015
    OCNJ
    I too have ta couple T-rax. Strong, little efforts, Solid Billet Aluminum. No trips to store and back again. Time is money. I bought the SUP ones so I don't have fin issues and I have, ah hem, Sups, but they do work great. SUP racks 12" on center. Surf racks are 8" oc.

Tenfooter and hangeleven like this.