Best Shaper

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by B.O.S.S, Mar 16, 2004.

1. B.O.S.S

B.O.S.S Member

Mar 11, 2004
    USA Texas
    Who do you think is the greatest SHAPER? My pick would be Doug HAUT of SANTA CRUZ

2. surly

surly New Member

Mar 13, 2004
    USA Florida
    I want a custom Lance Carson so bad. He gets my vote.

3. Laconic1

Laconic1 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    The man who changed my perspective of surfing from "something to do" on the logs of the early 60's, to zealot, based on his '67, 7-6 funny-gunny shape that I rode exclusively for 17 years: Carl Ekstrom.

Thanks, and be well, Carl.

4. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    Dale Velzy. The master taught too many other great shapers how to shape not to get my vote.

5. TurnerBurn

TurnerBurn New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    I am a Bruce Jones fan. I've just purchased my second board made by him, and wow it is phenomenal.. The guy is great. And whoever does his glassing is equally great. His boards are very strong. They're made to go the distance.

6. little AL

little AL Member

Feb 17, 2004
    USA
    Lance Carson is my shaper of choise, he has shaped me some great old school boards as well as a nice fast longboard. Lance is now making mondern type boards as well as his classic. Lance Carson is now getting his boards glassed by Tyler, his prices have gone up because of that, but the boards look oh so sweet. I like Doug Hauts boards but Doug makes boards that seem to work better for smaller guys. Dale Velzy shaped a good board in his day also. I think the guy that can do it all is Mike Eaton. Mike makes or did make some great guns, his bonzers are about the fastest board that I have been on, and he shaped me a great step deck a few years back. I think the call is to find a shaper that shapes boards that you have seen that look like they will work for you, and he is willing to work with you. A lot of these guys shape what they shape and that is all that they do. Just me $.02.

7. RS

RS New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Jed Noll is the man.

Just got a new board custom shaped by Jed - a 9'4 - about 3 months ago. Damn thing does everything well -paddles fast (I'm 200 lbs), catches small waves and also drops down the bigger faces easily. The guy has the touch!!

RS

8. Halcyon

Halcyon New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    USA California
    I have to agree with Little Al when he alludes to the fact that it's kind of a personal thing and his choices are made after more than a minute of time in the water. One has to look at a lot of boards and ride them as well to make an educated answer. There are are many excellent shapers here in California. I have to say of the ones who specialize in longboards that Hap Jacobs and Michel Junod & Yater have to be near the top of the list. John Mel, Bob Pearson, Doug Schroedel do some very nice looking work as well. Whose the best one? That's a pretty subjective thing and it's really up to each rider to decide. I think if you took an international poll of surfers who have been at it for at least 10 years the answer would be different that if you poll the newbies but I think Velzy would probably win. He even has a break named after him in Oahu. The guy's a legend.
    http://www.surfline.com/travel/surfmaps/us/oahu/oahu_vland.cfm

Good Surfin', Rich

9. Goyo

Goyo New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    B.O.S.S

There's no way to say who is best cuz it's subjective. I think that Dale Velzy has influenced virtually all the current shapers in one way or another. He really is the man of post WWII surfboard design. In my opinion.

aloha- Goyo

10. Benny

Benny Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    I just picked up my second Velzy and they sure as sh!t work for me.

My custom 9'10" XTR is my daily driver - set up as a tri for beachbreaks or as a single for points & noseriding. Surfore (on this bb) is the man - he worked for Velzy and hooked me up then and again now.

I just got a used 10'4" '63 model for $500 last Friday and had it out Sunday & yesterday. Its a classic (not noserider) Velzy shape - think early '60's Pig - 24" wide, 3.5+" thick, pulled in nose (reduced lift & swing weight) and pronounced hips aft of center. The hips really lend a feel to the board unlike any other. They shorten up the rail curve so if you're on the back half, it turns like a much shorter board. They also make it respond like crazy to kick stalls which were never my strength before, but are such a hoot now.

I think Phil Edwards said "Simmons made them light but Velzy made them turn" - he wasn't wrong.

Benny