Best Shaper/Craftsman???

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by krug1, Sep 6, 2005.

1. nikosurf

nikosurf New Member

Feb 19, 2004
    USA California
    tyler, cooper, chris christenson, calvani, and Robbie Kegel's boards are amazing too

2. pierpont-scott

pierpont-scott New Member

May 11, 2006
    cremes are all of a plug shaped by J.P. then machined, nothing much except an expensive glass job by channin this is a fact. kegal is a good surfer though. Is not even in the same league as tyler or matt calvani, don't believe the hype!

3. slosurf

slosurf Active Member

Sep 1, 2004
    USA Maryland
    pierpont-scott wrote:
    I was wondering whether there was substance beneath that form. I sure would like to get whoever does those cool paint jobs on his boards to do my next Bing.

4. pierpont-scott

May 11, 2006
    channin in encinetas does the glass jobs and I know the guy who shaped the plugs for him. I also know the guy who operates the cnc machine.
    oh those are paint jobs that is is color lamination work.

5. Surfertom

Surfertom Active Member

Benny,

I want the one on the left and the one in the middle.

ST

6. Benny

Benny Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Ha! If anyone would understand, its the guy with 5 Phils...

Btw, the one second from left is the lightest of them all. Chambered & rough shaped by the same guy who makes the plugs for the Cremes... :D

Attached files
    [​IMG]

7. slosurf

slosurf Active Member

Sep 1, 2004
    USA Maryland
    Benny wrote:
    Pretty mouth watering selection of Velzys, Benny. Love that Balsa.

Speaking of balsa boards by legendary/best shapers, I went into a shop in Ocean City, MD a month or so after a surf and was browsing through the boards and there in the racks was a balsa Ole. A friggin balso Ole!!! A balsa Ole is in the Top 10 dream boards on my list. I was blown away. What the hell was a new balsa Ole doing in a shop in MD (Chaunceys)? I started talking to the owner of the shop. Turns out he is friends w/ Bob Olsen. Gets together with him once a yeat in HI. He put a $10K deposit down and waited a year for three balsa Oles. (Guess it will remain on my dream list forever at that price.) They had arrived not too long ago and the other two flew out the door immediately upon arrival for over $10K each. The third was his. Turns out he has just placed another order for a couple (non balsa, affordable) Oles. I asked if I could piggyback on the order and minutes later was putting a deposit on a 9'6" Bumble Bee (triple stringer, no tail block). I have a 10' Ole and hopefully, if the order comes through, I will have one in a length that better suits me. Bob Olsen is 78 years old and who knows when he will decide to take down the shingle.

8. PaulJensen

PaulJensen Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA Washington
    If the question was who puts out the best "board", then some of the previous entries would be solid, as I read the question, I see there's a lot of "myth, legend and hype" on the list..

Aren't many of the shapers listed already, primarily putting out machine pre-shapes. then simply removing ridges...Hardly shaping...That would affect my choice of who I'd consider a "contender"...

I'm sure you all also considered the fact that the shaper often isn't the glasser who can either elevate the final "product" or relegate it to an also-ran...

Given that, the best true Shaper I've seen is Rob Brown, formerly shaping Northwest Surfing Customs...Inovative in design, able to replicate the classics, varsitile shaping any length, and he's a master glasser/ sander...Not a "known name", but a true craftman by any standard...

9. pierpont-scott

May 11, 2006
    "Chambered & rough shaped by the same guy who makes the plugs for Creme"

benny :D:D funny is it

10. daCat

daCat New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    PaulJensen wrote:
    Here is a criticism I don't get. And you won't hear this about you guys that do the Balsa boards. Why is there a problem with a roughed out blank that comes from a machine? Why should a shaper begin with a foam blank that is oversized and not close to the shape you are after? Isn't that more a defect in the design of Clark foam blanks. Clark could have produced a better blank that required less time to shape, but it would have cost him more to manufacture closer tolerance blanks. Clark blanks might have been good for the amature, but a guy trying to make a living needs to save time. The computer saves time, which translates into lower costs. I don't need to spend $2000 for a Tyler, just to slide on some waves. It does not diminish his original design or the quality of the end product. This is just an opinion. And I think the surfing community should keep it local. All these shapers are good.